AnsweredAssumed Answered

Copy table record data from table to table

Question asked by TomWaddington on Jul 18, 2013
Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 by TomWaddington

Title

Copy table record data from table to table

I'm new to FileMaker Pro 12 and have been beating my head against the wall for days trying to figure out a solution to a problem (If a solution even exists).  The problem is as follows:
     (I had no problem accomplishing this task using a script in and old DOS based database problem (Paradox 4) but have not been able to accomplish this with FileMaker Pro 12 advanced.)

I am using two tables,(Books and Address) which have the following fields:
     Books:
     Date : InvoiceNumber : SupplierInv.# : Customer : GivenName : Street : City_Prov : PostalCode : PhoneNumber: PSTNumber : P.O.Number : Wholesale : Description :  QuotedPrice : MoneyReceived : GSTRecd : PSTRecd: TotalCost : Deposit : Profit : Shipping : InventoryCost : Outstanding : MOP : ServiceCharge : GSTPaid : PSTPaid

Address:
     Date : InvoiceNumber : Customer : Street : City_Prov : Postal Code : PhoneNumber : PST Number : P.O.Number : Wholesale

What I am trying to accomplish is as follows:
     When I enter data into the Books::Customer field, I would like it to query the "Address" table to see if there is a record matching the data entered and if so, ask if this is the correct Customer.  If so, it would copy the data from the "Address" table fields and paste them in the appropriate "Books" table fields.  If not, it would go to the next match from the "Address" table and ask again.  If there is no match, once the last field in the "Books" table that matches last field in the "Address" table is filled in, the appropriate data entered in the "Books" table would be copied into a new record in the "Address" table so that it could be used at a future date in a similar query.

I had no problem accomplishing this task using a script in and old DOS based database problem (Paradox 4) but have not been able to accomplish this with FileMaker Pro 12 advanced.  I can post a copy of the portion of the Paradox script that I used to accomplish this task if that would help make the problem more clear.

Outcomes