2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 10:55 AM by user17541

Copy to Clipboard Issue

user17541

Title

Copy to Clipboard Issue

I have a small database that contains a library list of journals, periodicals and books for Bibliography reference. Users can add and modify information on all the books in the database and the system automatically generates a full citation for each data record.  There is a button to copy the generated citation to the clipboard so users can paste to word documents, emails etc etc outside of Filemaker.  

My problem is, the only way the button will work is when I make the citation field fully modifiable:  ie: it is available both in find and browse mode. When I deselect the browse mode option in the inspector, the copy will not work. I am using a single step scrip for the button ie:

Copy [Select; Library::Citation]

The database is Filemaker 14.  Ideally, I would prefer to have the citation field display as a merge field but again, using the above statement, the copy does not work.   What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Copy to Clipboard Issue
          philmodjunk

You are doing nothing wrong. The copy and paste script steps, from, oh maybe version 1? have only worked if the field referenced in the script step is present and accessible on the current layout. Here are several options you can consider:

a) Put a copy of this field "off the edge" of the layout (in the grey area).

b) Have the script that does the copy change layouts to a layout where the field is accessible, copy the data and then change back to the current layout. The user should not notice that the layout ever changed.

c) Open a new window, (which can have negative coordinates specified to keep it from being visibile to the user, change layouts in this new window, copy the data and then close the window...

d) Hide an editable copy of the field by specifying True in the Hide Object When setting for the field. I think this will work without having to make the field visible, but I haven't tested this to see for sure.

• 2. Re: Copy to Clipboard Issue
            user17541

Thanks Phil,  since (d) was untested, decided to give that a try.  It does work providing another script line is added to redirect to another field or object. I used "go to field" to redirect back to the Title field which worked like a charm and, as this highlights the field, shows the user something happened.