5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 8:42 AM by philmodjunk

Copy/Paste from Filemaker Layout to multiple fields on web page form.

bokenrosie

Title

Copy/Paste from Filemaker Layout to multiple fields on web page form.

I have a situation where 8 different text fields need to be copied from a FileMaker layout to 8 different fields on a web page.

I have already created buttons that copy the field data to reduce the "triple click, copy" to get the data from the fields.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to facilitate or automate this process.

I know that best case would be to contact the web page developer for a way to do as one transaction but that is not in the budget right now.

Any help greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Copy/Paste from Filemaker Layout to multiple fields on web page form.
          philmodjunk

The problem is that every web page can be designed differently. There's really no info available for your script to use to "know" where to paste the copied data into that web page.

If the web page developer has set up the site with an API that supports it, you may be able to post data from your web page by encoding it into a URL. The typical example of this is the way you can post address data from fields in your database to Google Maps and then Google Maps serves up a web page to the web viewer mapping that location. The address info from the database was encoded into the URL used to bring up that map in the web viewer.

But this requires that your web page developer set up their system to support this and then for them to be willing to tell you how to encode that info intto the URL....

• 2. Re: Copy/Paste from Filemaker Layout to multiple fields on web page form.
            bokenrosie

What if the act of pasting was a trigger to advance to the next field?

I start the macro which goes to field one and copies content.

I go to web page and paste that data.

When I make FileMaker window active again is there anything I can trigger off of?

Or, if that method does not work maybe there is another thing that can help me.  I have a bunch of buttons setup in sequence.  The user clicks the button that they are looking for data.  The button is setup to copy the contents of a field.  The problem is in copying that field it highlights to contents of the field and takes my layout away from the set of buttons.  Is there a step I can add where it will take me back to the buttons?

• 3. Re: Copy/Paste from Filemaker Layout to multiple fields on web page form.
              philmodjunk

There's no way to set a trigger on a field shown in the web viewer to the best of my knowledge.

For your other question, I can't quite picture what you mean by: "takes my layout away from the set of buttons". What exactly do you mean by that? How did you set up the buttons for copying data from a field? (The copy script step should leave the focus on the field to be copied, but how does that "take your layout away" from the buttons--which I would place next to the fields from which I want to copy data.

And Have you tried using drag and drop to copy the contents of a field into the web viewer form?

• 4. Re: Copy/Paste from Filemaker Layout to multiple fields on web page form.
                bokenrosie

My layout included a tab control.  I had the "assembly buttons" (otherwise known as that sequential set of buttons that go around the layout and copy the data I need into the clipboard) on one tab and the calculated field on another tab.  When I clicked the button that was supposed to go get the value of that calculated field it would change to that tab to copy the field.  

I solved the problem by removing that calculated field and putting it off to the right of my layout in an area that is too far to the right to be seen as instructed with a previous post.  It works, although it would have been nice to have that calculated fields repository available for debugging and other purposes.

Clicking the button that has "copy " and "select entire contents" under button setup was taking me away from the tab control location I wanted to be.

• 5. Re: Copy/Paste from Filemaker Layout to multiple fields on web page form.
                  philmodjunk

The button's script could also use go to object to return the button's tab control back to the front if you use the inspector's name box to give that tab panel an object name.