3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2010 4:52 AM by Belton

Copying a file path to the Import Path List

Mitch

Title

Copying a file path to the Import Path List

Hi All,

I have a Plugin (not sure of its origin) that enables me to select a file from my computer and the result is that file path and file name is copied to a filed within my database (Main_Page::File_Path), as text.  The result:

/application/database/mydatabase.usr

(Operating on a Mac) 

I have tried using a import script with a variable:  Set Variable [$Path; Value: Main-Page::File_Path].  Then adding the variable $Path to the Import Path List within the script.

However, when executing the import script the file can not be found.  Am I missing something?

Mitch

• 1. Re: Copying a file path to the Import Path List
          Belton

The plugin sounds like Scriptmaster from 360works.

It may be you don't have the full path. You also need the volume.

/MyVolume/application/database/mydatabase.usr

or you have missed out (relative path) file:$path or (fullpath) filemac:$path in the Import Path List

(I found out about both these issues through trial and error at first! )

The following works for me to get a fullpath

Set Variable [ $filePath; Value:SelectFile ]
          Set Variable [ $Volume; Value:Get(SystemDrive) ]
          Set Variable [ $fullPath; Value:Left ( $Volume ; Length ( $Volume ) -1 ) & $filePath ]
          If [ $filePath= 0 ]  //User cancelled
            Exit Script [  ]
          End If

• 2. Re: Copying a file path to the Import Path List
            Mitch

I am not sure where the plugin came from, but I do also have the 360 Works plugin.

Your solution works well and of course looks like it will be suited to both Windows and Mac runtimes.

Thanks....

Mitch 

• 3. Re: Copying a file path to the Import Path List
              Belton

A follow up. (after bug testing a solution for Windows) 

The volume only needs to be appended to the Mac filepath returned by Scriptmaster to make a full path.

On Windows Scriptmaster already returns a full path. BUT it returns it in windows format

C:\folder\file

this will need to be converted to C:/folder/file for filemaker to use it.

Set Variable [ $FMfilePath; Value:Substitute ( $filePath ; Char ( 92 ); Char ( 47 ))]

"\" causes problems in the formula hence  Char ( 92 )

If you use Scriptmaster to run other functions requiring a filepath, it should stay in Windows format