5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2011 1:26 PM by philmodjunk

Corruption?

RickWhitelaw

Title

Corruption?

Hi,

I've wrung my hands over this many times (thanks to avisos from posters on this forum) without actually ever encountering an issue with this file . I have one file of a seven-file solution that reports errors when recovered. As I've mentioned previously, this file has reported errors ever since its size was in the "Ks" . . . in other words, since it was created. This evening I ran Recover with almost every combination of Advanced options and I sense I've isolated the problem. When FMPA was trying to recover  Table " " it created a new table "Recovered" as well as a few fields named "Recovered" for a total of four objects created upon recovery. Of course Table " " doesn't exist.

Should I be worried about this? If I open the recovered file and delete the table and fields created by the recover process, then recover the "recovered" file again, no issues are presented. I find this odd. FM "finds" problems, creates a table and fields to "solve" the problem, but if I delete the stuff that FM has created during the recover process, I end up with a "clean" file!

Another issue, and I find this annoying, is when I create a DDR and do a find on the word "missing", I get hits on almost all files. Almost all of them involve a field "missing" from "Fields used in this script". Of course, in the actual body of the script, the word "missing" is nowhere to be found.

Thanks for your time,

RW

• 1. Re: Corruption?
          philmodjunk

It really comes down to "there is no way to tell". There's just no way to know exactly how Recover did or did not repair the file. You might check out the file with the third party produced FMDiff utility to see what it reports as it claims to make a more exhaustive check of the file's integrity than Recover does.

It comes down to a judgment call: Use the file and monitor carefully to see if it works or rebuild from start and import your data. Neither option is particularly attractive.

I can't find it in the Known Bugs List, but I recall cases where a field referenced by a custom dialog is identified as "missing" in the DDR if that was the only way it was referenced in the script. Does that match what you are seeing here?

• 2. Re: Corruption?
            RickWhitelaw

Phil,

"I can't find it in the Known Bugs List, but I recall cases where a field referenced by a custom dialog is identified as "missing" in the DDR if that was the only way it was referenced in the script. Does that match what you are seeing here?"

Thanks for the idea. I'll check for this, but of course the Custom dialogs would no longer exist. I'll check old backups. This issue, by the way, is not being reported as a problem by Recover.

RW

• 3. Re: Corruption?
              philmodjunk

I don't understand this statement: "but of course the Custom dialogs would no longer exist."

I'm talking about using the Show Custom Dialog script step in the scripts where you see the "missing field" warnings. If I remember correctly, Show Custom Dialogs that refer to a input field can trigger this warning so you just need to check the report and see if that script step exists in the scripts where you see the warning. If I'm right, it's a bug with the DDR generator, not corruption issue.

• 4. Re: Corruption?
                RickWhitelaw

Hi Phil,

The "field missing" strings found in the DDR are all in the "Fields used in this script" area, not in the scripts themselves. There are no fields missing in any of the scripts. It seems to me that over time, as the design has changed, scripts changed that once (in an earlier iteration) referred to fields (perhaps used in Custom Dialogs) that have since been deleted,  FM or the DDR process is simply not "current". I believe this is a bug with DDR.

RW

• 5. Re: Corruption?
                  philmodjunk

The "field missing" strings found in the DDR are all in the "Fields used in this script" area, not in the scripts themselves. There are no fields missing in any of the scripts.

That is exactly what I remember seeing in the DDR as well. Upon careful examination, I found that this occurred when I had a Show Custom Dialog step in the script with input fields specified. If I removed the step, the missing field entries in the "fields used" section disappeared. This is what I remember, let me know if this matches what you are seeing also.

Are you using FileMaker 10 or 11?