3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 1:09 AM by stcav

Count Items in a portal

Fratco

Title

Count Items in a portal

Can I create a COUNT of a record that is in a portal? For example, I have a portal that displays the "latest date of a series of records." Can I count the ones that display a certain date. I hope this is clear enough for someone to give me an answer.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Count Items in a portal
          TSGal

Fratco:

Thank you for your post.

In a calculation field, you can use the Count() function to count the number of entries in a Portal.  If you perform a search for a particular date in a portal, the Count() will return the number of entries in that portal with that specific date.  You can then summarize this across all records.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Count Items in a portal
            CarlHancock

What do you do if you have a complex filter in place for your portal? Is there a better way to do this? 

• 3. Re: Count Items in a portal
              stcav

Carl,

I use a 'found' field (which gets the found count) on the table occurrence that populates the portal. So on a layout based on ORGANISATION table occurrence, a portal showing Consultees within that organisation uses <<organisation_CONSULTEE::found>> to count the entries in the portal. As far as I can see, it gets an accurate count regardless of the complexity of the portal filter.

Does that work for you?

Stephen

CORRECTION: I have confused filtering with the relationship specification. What I have written above does not work for filtering. Sorry!blush