3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2012 9:41 AM by philmodjunk

Count number of patients 18 and under

BrandonKhoury

Title

Count number of patients 18 and under

Hello, I am working on a database to track information about a clinic I work at in Haiti. I am trying to breakdown information into useful data for our funding organizations. For example, I am currently trying to determine how many people we treated that were 18 years old or under. I am learning as I go, but I can see that I will need to be able to generate a count that is dependent on the values of multiple fields. I have a parent table called "Master File" and child table called "Appointments". They are related by a unique value field called "Patient ID". The fields I am currently working on are as follows, and they are displayed in a "Reports" layout under the parent table (I want to stay away from the summary and sub-summary partitions. I need to be able to create a report using the various fields below and create a custom layout to display them):

AGE: which is a calculation field that yeilds a numeric value (ie. 1-99)

Cause: which is a text field. The data is entered via a Value list, one of which is the value "EQ" for earthquake victims.

First, I want to return a value for how many patients we have seen that are 18 years old or younger. To do this I created two additional fields. The first is called "Total Patients Under Eighteen", it is a calculation field with the following equation:

=PatternCount (Age ; "18") + PatternCount (Age ; "17") ... +PatternCount(Age ; "2") + PatternCount(Age ; "1")

The probem here is that a value of 3 is returned for records that are equal to "17". 1 for the "1", 1 for the "7", and 1 for the "17", for a total of 3. How can I alter this equal to return a value of 1 for each record containing a value of 18 or less and 0 for any value 19 and greater?

The second field I created is called "Total Patients Under Eighteen Summary". It is a summary field and is set to return the "Total of" "Total Patients Under Eighteen". This part works fine but is returning faulty information due to the inaccuracies of the first field.

Next, I want to be able to sort the records by filtering the information to display several criteria. I found another post that showed me how to create a script that will find records within a particular date range. I used that concept to create a script that will find the records that will show info for the patients 18 and under. Now, I want to create a script that will further breakdown that set of found records. I want the script to show just the records of the patients that are 18 and under, and EQ victims, within a particular date range. When I find the records for patients 18 and under, then hit the button that finds records for EQ victims, the first find is lost and the records show ALL eq victims under and over 18. Each new script overrides the previos script and finds records from all records and not just the current foundset.

I hope I have given you enough information without getting too confusing. I have been working on this for several days and would greatly appreciate some guidance. I am relatively new to Filemaker, so a beginners explanation would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Count number of patients 18 and under
          philmodjunk

I don't see why you want to avoid sumb summary parts. What you describe sounds made to order for a summary report with sub summary parts used to produce groups and subtotals for each group.

How can I alter this equal to return a value of 1 for each record containing a value of 18 or less and 0 for any value 19 and greater?

Age < 19

will return a 1 for all ages 18 and younger provided Age is of type number.

When I find the records for patients 18 and under, then hit the button that finds records for EQ victims, the first find is lost and the records show ALL eq victims under and over 18. Each new script overrides the previos script and finds records from all records and not just the current foundset.

Specify the age range ( > 19 works too, by the way) and also specify "EQ" or however that is specified in your record. Then perform the find.

Or

Find on the age range, then return to find mode specify EQ and use constrain found set to filter the current found set down to just those records with Age < 19 and that are also "EQ victims".

• 2. Re: Count number of patients 18 and under
            BrandonKhoury
             Thank you for your help. I can't believe it was that simple. I kept trying to work with the less than or equal to function, but kept running into errors. As for not wanting to use the summary and subsummary reports, I am somewhat confortable with the functions I am already using regularly and I continue to add bits and pieces to my knowledge base. At this point I do not want to change directions and start learning a completely new aspect. In due time. The next task for me to overcome will be generating a field summary based on multiple conditions. For instance, in order to determine how many prosthetic limbs we fit, several field values will have to be considered. Is the patient a unilateral amuptee or bilateral? Did that patient recieve one or both of those limbs? Did the patient receive a new limb or a replacement limb? Is there any tutorial or example you can point me towards for help in creating a summary that dependant on so many factors?
            • 3. Re: Count number of patients 18 and under
              philmodjunk

Here's a tutorial I wrote some time ago you can take a run at: Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial

It's a old post and replies posted to it will not make it reappear in recent items. If you try it out and have questions, feel free to post them in this thread or start a new thread with a link included to the tutorial so that I don't miss any such follow up questions.