4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2013 8:04 AM by sdonner

Count of Students with Current Intervention Plans

sdonner

Title

Count of Students with Current Intervention Plans

I have two tables, Students and Plans, related using StudentID. In Plans I have a Status field for either "Current" or "Completed." I want a starting layout with a global field that shows the count of students with current plans. Any help would be appreciated. 

• 1. Re: Count of Students with Current Intervention Plans
          philmodjunk

I am assuming that no student will have more than one plans record with "current" status.

This would not be a field with global storage.

Define a calculation field, constCurrent, with text as the result type. Enter this expression for the calculation:

"Current"

Define this relationship:

Students::constCurrent  = Plans|Current::Status

Plans|Current would be a new Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? of Plans.

Then there are two ways to use this relationship to get the count of current plans:

Define a calculation field in Students as:

Count ( Plans|Current::Status )

Or

Define a summary field that computes the "count of" status in the plans.

Put either field on your students layout to get the count of completed plans records.

• 2. Re: Count of Students with Current Intervention Plans
            sdonner

Actually, each student can have multiple plans, some current, some completed.

• 3. Re: Count of Students with Current Intervention Plans
              philmodjunk

And you want a count of how many students have at least one plan record with status = "current"?

Students----<Plans|current>----Students2

Then Count ( Students2::StudentID ) -->count any field in students where the field is never empty.

will count the number of students that meet that criteria. Students2 would be a second occurrence of Students.

Without the added occurrences and relationships, you can also get the same count with just your original relationship:

Students----<Plans

If you performed a find on Students where you specified "current" in the Plans::Status field on the same layout.

• 4. Re: Count of Students with Current Intervention Plans
                sdonner

Thanks Phil. Worked like a charm!