8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2012 2:25 PM by mgxdigital

Count of Value List

mgxdigital

Title

Count of Value List

Hello,

I have a field caleld contact type that has a value list as a drop down. The value list is custom values like phone call, voicemail, email, etc.

I'm wonfering if it's possible to get a count of the values used since they are all in the same feild. I have my fingers crossed!

End Result would be something like this:

Phone Call     3

Voicemail       3

Email             2

• 1. Re: Count of Value List
          philmodjunk

What kind of value list format are you using? a CheckBox Set?

And am I correct that you want the count over a found set of records, not just the values selected in a given checkbox set?

• 2. Re: Count of Value List
            mgxdigital

It's a drop down. It will be a found set of records.

• 3. Re: Count of Value List
              philmodjunk

So you can only enter a single value in the field. I was thinking that was what complicated this and completely missed the phase "drop down list" Embarassed

Then a summary report with a "count of" summary field and a sub summary layout part "when sorted by" this field can be used to get your counts. You'd delete the body layout part in order to get just one row for each value used.

If you need this list as part of a more complex report, you can set up a filtered portal (fileMaker 11) or a calculaton field using Execute SQL (FileMaker 12).

If you used the portal, you'd need to create a related table with one record for each value in your value list.

• 4. Re: Count of Value List
                mgxdigital

Phil,

What if i want to go one step further.

Take all of the activites within a found set : sub summarize by rep who entered the activit (text field) ; then subsummarize the contact type per rep.

Emily

Phone Call 2

Voicemail 3

Dave

Phone Call5

Voicemail6

Thoughts??

• 5. Re: Count of Value List
                  philmodjunk

It's very easy to set up as a summary report.

You'd need one sub summary layout part when sorted by Rep (put the name field in this part)

and one sub summary when sorted by Type (put the Type and summary field in this part)

THen sort your records first by rep, but also by Type.

And don't forget to remove the body layout part.

• 6. Re: Count of Value List
                    mgxdigital

Thanks. This does summarize by rep and give me the granf total of the "type" field, but it does not seperate out the value list options that are used on teh drop down for the "type" field. It's only providing the type in the first related record, not each value listed in that field.

• 7. Re: Count of Value List
                      philmodjunk

What related records? That's the first I've heard of related records in this thread.

I've assumed that your report was done from a layout based on the table in which you have defined your type field. Please describe the tables involved and how they are related.

• 8. Re: Count of Value List
                        mgxdigital

Ah! That was my problem. It pulled the records from the origional layout and it works.

Thank you!