1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 11, 2015 9:30 AM by philmodjunk

Count related records with local variables

argasoft

Title

Count related records with local variables

Hi!

In my DB I'd like to have a script that checks related records missing and lists them. There can be missing records, as I have made imports from different .xls files. Thus one table contains 8100 records and the related one 8093.

I want to make it flexible, i.e. no hard-coding of table and field names.

So I do:
      - create an array $$arrtables containing all the DB-tables
      - Loop through $$arrtables and create $relationlist with RelationInfo ( $$arrtables[$n] )
      - Loop through $relationlist to create $relation when I find $relationlist element value containing "::"

In my thoughts now I should:
      - go to $$arrtables[$n] & "List" layout
      - show all records
      - Loop through each record
      - if [not Count ( $relation ) ] create a new record in the RelateErr table for listing

Is the whole very cumbersome (I know it will take time to fulfil the script as I have, actually 02 tables with approx. 8000 records each, but a progress bar can be visualized)?

The only faster solution I can think of is to have a calculated field in each table that contains the number of related records. So I could just look for EQ 0 here and save to RelateErr table for listing.

But how can the whole be "flexible" as a table can have more than one relationship and so what would the parameter for the RelationInfo function be in this case?

Hope it's clear.

TIA for any advice.
      Arnaldo

• 1. Re: Count related records with local variables
          philmodjunk

Seems like results aren't worth the high price in complexity, time to create and slow execution speeds that you'll get from using this indirection.

There are very simple very easy to set up methods for doing this with a scripted find that will be many times faster to perform. But they require explicit references to table occurrences, fields and the relationships you define.