2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2014 12:41 AM by MarkPage

Count specify occurrences in portal

MarkPage

Title

Count specify occurrences in portal

Hi,

I collect data in forests, sampling many trees in each plot for their DBH (diameter at breast height). In a plot I may measure a couple of dozen trees, and of course several will have the same diameter.

In my FMP report I want to show the DBH, and number of trees at that diameter. In one record something like: SS; 25;11,0.403;4.433. Which are Species; DBH; Volume per tree; volume per class, respectively.

I'm pulling the data from a main table which contains all the information downloaded from my electronic callipers, and I've created a self join and portal to bring some of the information across. In short I'm getting separate occurrences for the similar DBH's. The example above would give me 11 instances (in separate records) of DBH 25.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to get what I want? Is my logic off? 

My other issue with this is that the DBH's are random, and the number of separate DBH's of course vary from plot to plot. I need my report to show just the correct number of lines. In other words Plot one may have 12 separate DBH classes, and the next plot may just have 6 separate DBH classes. In this case I'd just like to see 12 and 6 lines on each report. (Perhaps I should post this as a separate thread?

Any help gratefully received. 

Cheers

Mark

• 1. Re: Count specify occurrences in portal
          philmodjunk

What you describe in the final lines of your report sounds like a summary report where you group your records by "DBH Class" (Have no idea from your post what that is) and use summary fields and sub summary layout parts to produce the needed sub totals (sub averages if you will) and the format you describe.

But I can't really picture exactly how you have currently structured your data--especially how a "self join" would be used in this case.

• 2. Re: Count specify occurrences in portal
            MarkPage

Phil,

A DBH 'class' is a bit of a forestry techie term. It means all DBH's that are the same. So all trees that are 45 DBH are said to be in DBH class 45.

I had got a bit farther along after I posted my question, using what you later suggested.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Mark