10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 2:15 PM by gasolineman

counting a field

gasolineman

Title

counting a field

i know there are lots of threads that talk about counting, but i cant find anything that talks about just what i want to do.

i have a field in my db that is a value list containing the values "open" and "closed"

the field is only entered once per record, and i am wanting a running total of "open" records

is there a way to make a field appear in the form that will show me a running total of "open" records without running a report? 

• 1. Re: counting a field
          BetoBoton

Hi

I don't know what you mean by  "running a report"

But you can just quickly run a script to get the total number of records, the the "open" ones and the "closed will be  "total number of records" - "open"

Make sense?

Hope it helps 

• 2. Re: counting a field
            raybaudi

gasolineman wrote:

is there a way to make a field appear in the form that will show me a running total of "open" records without running a report? 

Hi

Two new fields:

1) cOpen : calculated field, result number, and calc: Self = "Open"

2) sOpen : summary field ( total of cOpen )

• 3. Re: counting a field
              comment_1

raybaudi wrote:
              calculated field, result number, and calc: Self = "Open"

That doesn't seem right.

• 4. Re: counting a field
                raybaudi

Correct !

YourListField = "Open"

• 5. Re: counting a field
                  gasolineman

what i have is a database that has a field labeled "Open", it is a value field with 'open' and 'closed' as the two options for radio buttons.  the database has 5000 records and growing everyday of course, and  i am trying to display a field on the form that tells me how many records are 'open' without having to perform a find or creating a report.

any ideas? 

• 6. Re: counting a field
                    BetoBoton

I'll tell you what I've been trying here and MAYBE helps:

1-I created, on the same database, a COUNTING table with 2 GLOBAL fields and ONLY one Record (the First one so you can refer to it easily and RELATE IT to your main table)

2- In your case they would be GlobalOpen and GlobalClosed ( I have a similar stuff here)

3- I created a run ONCE script to  count the Open and Closed and set the FIRST Record of my COUNTING table

4 - IF the OPEN RADIO or CLOSED RADIO is changed by user I ADD 1 and Subtract 1 from the appropriate field GlobalOpen and GlobalClosed.

5- On New Record CREATION you ADD to the appropriate field GlobalOpen and GlobalClosed

6- On New Record DELETION you SUBTRACT to the appropriate field GlobalOpen and GlobalClosed

//===================== 

It is NOT an elegant way out of this.

//=====================

But there is No Layout, No  FIND as you wish!

In my case it is working and I have the "totals" showing and changing properly.

I know  there are some Aggregate functions (that I don't know how to use them) that MAYBE do this, but you never know if my old "count the stuff with your fingers method" is enough for you. 

Cheers 

Beto 

• 7. Re: counting a field
                      philmodjunk
                         Applying Comment's correction to Raybaudi's suggested calculation fields should supply what you need. No scripting is required.
                      • 8. Re: counting a field
                        etripoli
                           BetoBoton - I see many issues with the solution you provided, especially since the revised method RayBaudi provided should work just fine.  Using calculation and summary fields is much less likely to break.
                        • 9. Re: counting a field
                          BetoBoton

I probably did not understand the revised method RayBaudi provided!

Thanks 

• 10. Re: counting a field
                            gasolineman
                               yes, that worked great!  thanks!