3 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 3:44 PM by philmodjunk

Counting or Sub-Summary?

SarahPeterson

Title

Counting or Sub-Summary?

I am creating a database of applicants to a academic program and I am trying to count the number of applicants from a particular institution in a particular application year. 

I have a table for Applicants and a table for Institutions. Ideally the count for number of applicants would go in the Instutitons Table. 

I am running Filemaker Pro 11 on Mac. If any additional details would be helpful let me know. 

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Counting or Sub-Summary?
          philmodjunk

Count ( applicants::anyFieldthatIsNeverEmpty ) can be defined in instiutions to count the number of applicants for a given institution.

If you define a "count of" summary field in applicants (must also count a field that is never empty), you can place that summary on your institution layout and you'll get the same count.

Or, you can set up a summary report with sub summary layout parts on a applicants based layout and you can also show the same counts for each institution.

This last option can list just the institutions or it can list the institution as a "sub head" with the individual applications listed grouped with it. It can also be a report that further filters the applicants being counted--such as all the applicants for a given year or from a specific part of the country.

• 2. Re: Counting or Sub-Summary?
            SarahPeterson

Thank you!

What elements would the last option need to contain? Would they need to be in a portal?

• 3. Re: Counting or Sub-Summary?
              philmodjunk

No portal, the last option is a summary report with a specific sort order consistent with Sub summary layout parts on a layout that is viewed in List view.

This tutorial on summary reports may be helpful: Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial