1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 5, 2011 9:28 AM by philmodjunk

Counting The Number of Sub-Summary Fields with the Same Value

gshank

Title

Counting The Number of Sub-Summary Fields with the Same Value

Hello - I want to summary of sub-total of the number of "tickets" my customers have. I have individual records for each ticket with the customer's name and I have successfully created a summary report counting how many tickets each customer have earned -  it looks like...

• David   24
      • Susan  19
      • Ann  10
      • Jill    10
      • Bob    5
      • Mary   4
      • Jack  4
      • Steve   4

As I am going to award prizes for the number of tickets they have, I want to count of how many at each leve so I can get an idea of the prize count...

• 1 with 24
      • 1 with 19
      • 2 with 10
      • 1 with 5
      •  3 with 4

I can't seem to find out how to count a sub-summary field.  Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Counting The Number of Sub-Summary Fields with the Same Value
          philmodjunk

For starters, there is no such thing as a sub summary field. Wink You have a summary field that is located in a sub summary layout part here as far as I can tell.

I'd define a customer table to relate to this tickets table:

Customer::CustomerID = Tickets::CustomerID   (I wouldn't use a name for customer ID, customers can have identical names.)

Then, in the customer table, this calculation can be used to report the total tickets for each customer: Count ( Tickets::CustomerID )

You can then define a summary field that counts CustomerID and use a summary report based on this customers table to see how many customers have purchased specific numbers of tickets.