5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 10:07 AM by philmodjunk

Couple of simple chart formatting queries

JamesTorr

Title

Couple of simple chart formatting queries

Hey guys - couple of queries here. I'd like to get an idea of sales over time, so I made up a chart of invoice line items, but FM evenly distributes the items across the graph rather than spacing them out temporally, ie the first 3/4s of the graph represents 2 years, the remaining 1/4 - 5 or so. 

Is there any way for me to get this stretched out - ie so FM knows that I'm talking about dates here and gives me an accurate idea of sales in time.  

Same question to the graph below - there are dates on the bottom - is there any way of me formatting the X-Axis so I can see the dates - or just so that they're not all squashed together:

Many thanks in advance FMers! 

• 1. Re: Couple of simple chart formatting queries
          philmodjunk

FileMaker does not scale the X-axis. If you have a non uniform interval between data points, the only way to chart them accurately is to insert additional records with interpolated values to produce that uniform scale.

For the labeling shown in the bottom chart, you can set up a calculation that returns blank for all but a few dates on a specified interval.

Say each point is a sepecfic date and you just want to show a date for the first day of each month. Then this calculation would work:

If (day (YourTable::DateField ) = 1 ; YourTable::DateField )

• 2. Re: Couple of simple chart formatting queries
            Sorbsbuster

The limitations you've found are not unique to FM, of course - I believe you will have the same problem, and require Phil's work-arounds, in Excel, for example.

• 3. Re: Couple of simple chart formatting queries
              JamesTorr

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm pretty new to filemaker and switched over from Access about a month ago. Never really had much experience on the charting features of access either - just forms, reports and the basic design. So far, though, it's been a great move and I'm already several steps ahead than before. I'm also on a Mac, so relieved not to be switching over to a VPC environment too often. Just Sage now!

I guess the problem with that is that if you have only, say, a dozen or so dates, and none of them fall on the 1st of the month, you're just left with blank fields, right?

• 4. Re: Couple of simple chart formatting queries
                Sorbsbuster

And Filemaker will happily pull data directly from Sage and use it in any analysis.

• 5. Re: Couple of simple chart formatting queries
                  philmodjunk

I guess the problem with that is that if you have only, say, a dozen or so dates, and none of them fall on the 1st of the month, you're just left with blank fields, right?

If you assume a linear relationship between existing points (y = mx + b), you can set up a script that computes the interpolated values to fill in the blanks. This will adjust your horizontal scale to be correct.