3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 7:52 PM by PaulBostwick

Crashing on Start of FMP 8.5 A - for one account and not others...

PaulBostwick

Title

Crashing on Start of FMP 8.5 A - for one account and not others...

I too am all of a sudden having the problem of FileMaker 8.5 ADdvanced crashing on startup. BUT ONLY ON ONE USER. The other users on this same computer have no problems. I have restarted i have reinstalled I have tried to find the preference files that might (almost certainly) distinguish one user's crashing from another's joy.... is ther a list of the temp and pref files and the like that can get corrupted? but survive a reinstall?

mac os 10.4.11

remember. it works fine on other user accounts on the same computer. but one crashes before even offering to open a file.

• 1. Re: Crashing on Start of FMP 8.5 A - for one account and not others...
          PaulBostwick

Here is the crash report...

Date/Time:      2009-10-14 22:09:56.780 -0700
          OS Version:     10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)
          Report Version: 4

Command: FileMaker Pro
          Path:    /Applications/FileMaker Pro 8.5 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro
          Parent:  WindowServer [576]

Version: FileMaker Pro Advanced version 8.5v1 (8.5.1)

PID:    807
          Thread: 0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
          Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

Thread 0 Crashed:
          0   com.apple.CoreFoundation           0x9082063c CFDictionaryGetValue + 17
          1   com.dracoventions.gap_filler       0x1b831466 CAESEncRegKey::ReadData(unsigned char*&, unsigned long&, unsigned long) + 130
          2   com.dracoventions.gap_filler       0x1b839986 GFPrefs::LoadAll() + 180
          3   com.dracoventions.gap_filler       0x1b82b8df ScheduledTask::ScheduledTask[in-charge](ScheduledTask::TaskType, unsigned long) + 721
          4   com.dracoventions.gap_filler       0x1b82f34f FMExternCallProc + 181
          5   ...ilemaker.dbengine.framework     0x01d38a76 Draco::DBPlugIn::SetEnabled(bool) + 374
          6   com.filemaker.pro85A               0x001bbbe3 CFMProApp::InitInstance() + 935
          7   com.filemaker.pro85A               0x00031da7 CMacApp::Main() + 39
          8   com.filemaker.pro85A               0x001b93d9 main + 33
          9   com.filemaker.pro85A               0x00003272 _start + 228
          10  com.filemaker.pro85A               0x0000318d start + 41

Which lead me to delete the extension called gap filler (which was no t installed in the other user accounts) and VOILA - no more crashing. Not sure why it would now choose to screw up but I do not care....

• 2. Re: Crashing on Start of FMP 8.5 A - for one account and not others...
            TSGal

Paul Bostwick:

Thank you for your posts.

Since you are running Mac OS X 10.4.11, the preference file is located:

User Account -> Library -> Preference -> com.filemaker.*

Try removing that file.  When FileMaker Pro launches, it looks for this file, and if it doesn't find it, a new one is created.

The preference file should not cause a crash, so I don't have much hope this is going to help.  It very well could be a corrupt User Account.  Try running Apple's utility "Disk Utility", and repair disk permissions.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Crashing on Start of FMP 8.5 A - for one account and not others...
              PaulBostwick

Hey TSgal.. I think you missed my Issue resolved conclusion:

it was a misbehaving FileMaker Extension called Gap Filler. It was installed on one user acct and not the others that was the difference. Once Removed the problem was gone.

Thanks anyway.

-Paul