2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2009 6:57 PM by RSchaub

Create a custom template

JulieS.

Title

Create a custom template

Dear FileMaker Support,

I was hoping to take an existing, custom-designed database and create a template version of it, so I can repopulate it with new data.  {we're trying to re-organize our databases by fiscal year}  We use FMP5 at work.   Is there a simple drop-down menu command (and if not, a script) I could apply to make this happen? I know that it's possible---a predecessor has managed to do it---but I don't know how.

many kind thanks,

Julie

• 1. Re: Create a custom template
          davidanders

Under the FILE menu there is a Save a Copy as...

Choices are 1] copy of current file 2] compacted copy (smaller) 3] clone (no records)

You SHOULD have a current backup copy or clone of your database already.

THIS IS very important, save a copy or clone after any modifications, keep in a safe place.

SEE http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/fmp_basics.3.34.html

Be sure to copy and/or clone regularly.

David

(In OSX you can change a file to stationary in the Get Info window, unsure if Filemaker respects that system setting.)

OR put the clone in  HD> Applications> Filemaker Pro folder> English Extras> Templates (folder) 

• 2. Re: Create a custom template
            RSchaub

you can also put you newly generated blank copy of your file here

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced\English Extras\Templates

each time you create a new file you will have the oppertunity to chose this file as a template.:smileyhappy: