2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2012 4:53 PM by MeganNeureuter

Create a field that lists only items related to another field

MeganNeureuter

Title

Create a field that lists only items related to another field

I am new to filemaker - I am trying to build a database of courses and faculty. I have a Faculty table and a Courses table. I would like to create a field on the faculty records that lists any courses the faculty is said to be teaching that is assigned on the Courses table. The field does not need to be editable.

For example, I have Course records that have the title of a course, the faculty who teaches it and the description of the course, lets say Art 101, Art 102, and Art 103 are all taught by Prof. Jane Doe

I then have Prof. Jane Doe's Faculty record that has her bio, her picture and the courses she teaches - I would like this last field to auto-populate the courses designated as hers from the Course table - it would list Art 101, Art 102 and Art 103.

Any assistance on how to do this is greatly appreciated.

One item to note: in the Course table I already have the faculty related to a location, so if a faculty teaches courses in Paris, when creating a Course record and I choose Paris from my Location value list/drop down menu only faculty from Paris show up in the Faculty value list/drop down list.

• 1. Re: Create a field that lists only items related to another field
          philmodjunk

Do you know what a portal is? If not, that's the first thing to look up. With a relationship linking courses to Faculty, a portal to courses on the faculty layout will list all related records in courses. But your relationship may be too simple for what you need.

Just as one instructor can teach many different courses, cannot the same course be taught by more than one instructor?

If so, you have a many to many relationship and you need a join table linking the two in order to make that work correctly.

Faculty----<Faculty_Course>---Courses

Faculty::__pkFacultyID = Faculty_Course::_fkFacultyID
               Courses::__pkCourseID = Faculty_Course::_fkCourseID

If this notation is unfamiliar to you, see this thread: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

A portal to Faculty_Course on the Faculty layout can list each course taught by a given instructor. Conversely, a Portal to Faculty_Course on a Courses layout will list all instructors that teach that course.

• 2. Re: Create a field that lists only items related to another field
            MeganNeureuter
             Thank you very much for your response, I am not aware of Portals and will look it up, sounds like that may be what I am looking for. As for your questions about faculty/courses, generally courses are only taught by the one faculty - it's really only many courses being taught by one faculty NOT different faculty teaching one course. I very much appreciate your input and will do some research into portals!