2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 6:24 AM by CourtneyGreen

Create a Layout where I can enter data for multiple tables

CourtneyGreen

Title

Create a Layout where I can enter data for multiple tables

Hello everyone,

I need to create a layout where I can enter data for multiple tables. Looking at my screen shot, I currently have one table labeled "Opportunity" which then splits into several one to one tables based on the type of opportunitiy.

I want to be able to enter data into one layout, and have it entered into the multiple one to one tables.

For example, I want to enter a new opportunity that is an Event. On the layout I should be able to type in Opportunity ID (only once), Opportunity Date, Opportunity Type (Event), EventLocation, EventType, Event Description, EventGoals, EventOutcomes. This data should then automatically fill the Opportunity Table and the Events Table.

In the same layout I will also want to enter a new opportunity that is an Experience. So on the layout Is hould be able to type in Opportunity ID, Opportunity Date, Opportunity TYpe (Experience), Experience Type, ExperienceLocation,Experience Description. This data should then automatically fill the Opportunity Table and the Experience Table.

Where I am getting confused is I do not know how to automatically fill the Events, Experience etc. tables because every Opportunity ID will not go in all the sub tables- it depends on which type (events, experience, learning op, etc) it is.

Does this make sense?

Database_pic.gif

• 1. Re: Create a Layout where I can enter data for multiple tables
          philmodjunk

On the layout I should be able to type in Opportunity ID (only once)

That can be a problem right there. It's better to have OpportunityID be an auto-entered serial number that you do not have to enter at all but rather is entered for you when you create a new record in the Opportunity table. If you have another ID from external sources, define that as a field in Opportunity, but do not use it in relationships as this can cause problems for your data if you do.

his data should then automatically fill the Opportunity Table and the Events Table.

Actually, this data sounds like data that should only be entered in one of the two tables. Your relationships then make it possible to combine the data from the two tables in one layout or report. Entering the same data twice creates a number of potential problems and is not needed. For example, you'd enter Opportunity Date once in the Opportunity Table, On a layout based on events, your one to one relationship makes it possible to add the opportunity Date field from opportunity to the Events layout and the date will be properly displayed and even editable should you want to make that possible.

In fact, with your one to one relationship, you can put all the fields from Opportunity, Funding, Tutoring, LearningOp, Events, Experiences all on a single layout based on Opportunity. If "allow creation of records via this relationship" is enabled, you can simply enter data in all of these fields as though it were a single record in a single table as long as you have a value entered in OpportunityID--which should be the auto-entered serial number so that this happens automatically. If you wish, you can place the fields from the other tables each in different panels of a tab control to better organize the fields for each table by type.

• 2. Re: Create a Layout where I can enter data for multiple tables
            CourtneyGreen

That worked! Thank you very much :)