2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 7:22 PM by glaze

Create a layout with more than one report or table on it?

glaze

Title

Create a layout with more than one report or table on it?

I am creating a database of rooms for a building. Each room has Architectural items, Fixtures & Fittings, and Services so each of these things has there own table which is related to the Room table by Room Number.I add to these through a portal on the Room records.

I want to be able to print out a page which contains the fields specific to each room, but also includes a table or report for the architectural items, fixtures and fittings and services, that are in that room. Essentially three separate reports on the same page when it prints. 

The three tables all have quite different fields, other than room number. 

Is there any way to to this? At the moment I have a separate report for each of the three tables so I need to print at least three pages per room, when I want all the information on one page. 

This is the first database I have made with more than one table. Am using FMP 10 on a mac.

• 1. Re: Create a layout with more than one report or table on it?
          philmodjunk

Having multiple tables does complicate this kind of report. Even though each table uses very different sets of fields, you could design a combined table and add a label field that distinguishes each type of record from another and now you can create a summary report based on this table that groups your records by whether they are Architectural items, Fixtures & Fittings, or Services.

Another options is to design a layout that uses portals for each of these tables. This approach can have some major limitations as portals limit some of your options and you have to design a layout with extremely large portals that are set to shrink to close up unsused space on your report. If you don't size your portals large enough, your report will leave out data. You also can't set individual fields within the portal to slide up either.

A third option might be to save your three reports as a PDF in a script that uses the "Append to existing PDF" option to merge the three reports into a single document.

• 2. Re: Create a layout with more than one report or table on it?
            glaze

Thanks for the reply. In the end I decided to go with your first option. I decided that the fields across all 3 tables weren't all that different, so I created a new table that combined all my records, and included an extra field that specified which type. Some fields were only used for one type, but at least I can now make a report with everything in it.