9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 11:21 AM by philmodjunk

Create a layout with multiple records in a row

RomyoVeltri

Title

Create a layout with multiple records in a row

Hello again to this beautiful community,

As stated in the object I'd need to create a layout that allow me to visualize a field for each record and it should look like a table with a defined number of column and row.

Something like this

record 1 record 2
      record 3
      record 4 record 5
      record 6
      record 7
      record 8
      record 9
      record 10
      record 11
      etc etc etc etc
      etc etc etc etc etc
      etc etc etc etc etc

Is it possible? Can someone give me some hint or point me to some kind of tutorial?

Thank you in advance.

R.

• 1. Re: Create a layout with multiple records in a row
          philmodjunk

You can modify your layout setup to print your layout in columns. This is how label layouts work, after all. if you specify 5 columns with the records to fill across, you'll get the result you describe when you print or preview the layout.

If you need this in browse mode, it'll take a bit more work to set up.

• 2. Re: Create a layout with multiple records in a row
            RomyoVeltri

Thank you Phil, that's right , I need the table in browse mode, I don't know sincerely if it's possible, though.

• 3. Re: Create a layout with multiple records in a row
              philmodjunk

Oh it's quite possible, but it takes work to setup and there's more than one approach that works. Generally you have to set up a relationship and often an extra parent table to get things to look this way.

Before I dive in to such an approach, please tell me more about what it is you are trying to do here. Sometimes the best solution is to use a completely different approach.

• 4. Re: Create a layout with multiple records in a row
                RomyoVeltri

Thank you again for your time Phil,

here it's the situation.

The project it's to create a simple application to manage a beach and the beach umbrellas there. So I have a database with the values that I need to store the booking of each umbrella (from h, to h) and I want to visualize a simple "map" of the umbrella as a large table , presenting them open if busy and closed if free (Nick helped me to figure out how to do it with images in this thread http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/1b3624685f ).

Now, I'd just need to have more record in the same row to have a better layout for the map that visualize a large table, each field consisting of an image representing the value of another field.

Thank you for your interest anyway :)

R.

• 5. Re: Create a layout with multiple records in a row
                  philmodjunk

That's exactly the information I needed. Those rows and columns of records could have been nearly anything and may have required allowing users to edit the records. Knowing that you have a grid of images that you do not have to edit (we can enable them as buttons to take you to the indvidual record), simplifies your requirements enormously.

Here's a question whose answer you may not have considered: How critical is it that every spot on your grid show an umbrella?

I'm wondering if there might be a logical grouping of these locations that might be incorporated in a solution.

• 6. Re: Create a layout with multiple records in a row
                    RomyoVeltri

Hello Phil,

As you have already stated the purpose of the grid it's to show a map-grid of the umbrella and their availability, as long as I can access the other data of the record clicking on the image-button there is nothing so mandatory....but I don't know if I've caught the real sense of your question, forgive me in the case :)

• 7. Re: Create a layout with multiple records in a row
                      philmodjunk

Just an idea that might help make the layout work better for you as most locations don't have things organized in such a rigid grid format. If you can group your records in a way that better matches the physical layout of the tables and or any special characteristics, it might be easier to use.

Here's a simple "brute force" way to get all your tables into a grid:

Define a new table with one field--doesn't matter what field. We'll call it "MasterView".

Link it to your table records like this:

MasterView::Field x Tables::TableID

Make a layout based on MasterView and place a one row portal to Tables on it. Resize your portal and locate your container field so that you can see the table status field like you want. Format this field as a button set to run a script that uses Tables::TableID to identify the table and bring it up in your detail layout.

Now select this portal and its field and control drag (windows) or Option drag ( mac) to drag a copy to position next to it. Bring up portal setup and change the starting row to row 2. Now repeat for row 3, row 4 etc. until you have a grid of all your tables.

• 8. Re: Create a layout with multiple records in a row
                        RomyoVeltri

Thanks Phil, very ingenious.

Since I'm still a newbie here I'll need some time to figure it out in the details and I'll keep this thread updated.

Thanks again for now.

R.

• 9. Re: Create a layout with multiple records in a row
                          philmodjunk

By the way, this technique is called a "horizontal portal" so you can search the forums on that term to learn more about it if you need to.