3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2009 9:28 AM by philmodjunk

Create a new database using results from Find (FMP 5.5)

Hannibal

Title

Create a new database using results from Find (FMP 5.5)

I've got a large database and I need to basically create a new database containing only some of the information. I did a Find to get the records I need, is it then possible to somehow copy those records (over 1000) or do a Save As and get a new database with just the Find results?

We've got FileMaker Pro 5.5.

• 1. Re: Create a new database using results from Find (FMP 5.5)
          philmodjunk

Hannibal wrote:

I've got a large database and I need to basically create a new database containing only some of the information. I did a Find to get the records I need, is it then possible to somehow copy those records (over 1000) or do a Save As and get a new database with just the Find results?

We've got FileMaker Pro 5.5.

Hannibal,

I've worked with FMP 5.5 for years and am quite familiar with it. I just opened an install of it to verify that you have several options.

Option 1: Pull down the file menu and choose Export records. One of your options is to export your data, which will be your found set, as an FMP file. If you choose this option, you will export all your data, but not any layouts, relationships or calculation field definitions. Your calculation fields will be converted into data fields that store the current value of the original calculation fields.

If what you want to do with your records can work with those limitations, great. Otherwise, you have other options:

Option 2: Pull down the file menu.

1. Select save a copy as... and choose the clone (no records) option.
          2. Give this file a distinctive name so that you can tell it from your original file.
          3. Open your original file and do whatever find you need to create the found set you need. Leave the file open and now open your clone (empty) file.
          4. Pull down the File menu and choose Import records.
          5. Select your original file as the source file and chose the matching file names option from the View By... menu in the upper right corner.
          6. Click Import.

Option 3:

1. Make a copy of your file.
          2. Do your find. Select Records | Show Omitted.
          3. Choose Delete Found Records.

Options 2 and 3 produce the same result:  You get a file with just the records you wanted, but with all layouts, scripts, relationships and calculation fields intact. Option 3, while simpler, is more dangerous to your existing data. If you've defined a relationship to another file, and selected the "When deleting a record in this file, also delete related records." option, then deleting the found records in step 3, will also delete any matching records in your related file. Thus, do not use Option 3, without first checking each and every relationship definition and disabling this feature in your new copied file before deleting anything.

• 2. Re: Create a new database using results from Find (FMP 5.5)
            Hannibal
               Used Option 2 - it worked a charm! Thanks so much, I'm such a massive FileMaker noob! I had to access the databases directly from my FileMaker server machine to do it, the various options were greyed out on my machine when I was Opening the databases remotely.
            • 3. Re: Create a new database using results from Find (FMP 5.5)
              philmodjunk

Glad it worked,

I keep an install of FMP Pro on my server machines for that reason. I don't run them simultaneously, but if I need to do a little "on site" work, I can then stop the service and open files in FMP Pro for a quick fix.