3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 12:05 PM by philmodjunk

Create a relationship between related records?

Epa

Title

Create a relationship between related records?

Is it possible to create a relationship within 1 record, between 2 or more related records in separate portals?  the 2 portals each have their own, different table.  For example, In Record 1, there are 2 portals.....If I enter CERTAIN data into one row of portal 1, I want a new row of data to be created for portal 2.  Making multiple table occurrences and Portal filtering isn't going to work for me here.  I rather have 2 different tables.  When I enter info into 1 portal, I'd like a new row to be added to the other portal.

• 1. Re: Create a relationship between related records?
          philmodjunk

I think you need to spell this out in a lot more detail. And please identify the existing relationships involved when you do.

• 2. Re: Create a relationship between related records?
            Epa

Basically, I am setting up a "Dashboard" for office users to perform daily functions.  This database does not require the creation of records, so there will be just 1 record, with many portals and layouts.  In one instance, a user can enter contact information into a portal based on the "INTAKE" table.  Based on what is chosen in certain drop down fields, I want a new portal row created in another portal based on a table called "Fax log."  I can then set scripts to auto enter most of the fields needed based on what the user chose in the drop down lists.  In a nutshell: There is just 1 record.  This 1 record contains 2 portals.  Each of the portals is based on a different table.  When a certain drop down option is selected from a row in portal 1, I want a new row created in portal 2.  Currently, I don't have tnis set up correctly and I have 5 rows of data in portal 1, but just 1 row in portal 2 that keeps getting overwritten , instead of creating new rows linked to each row in portal 1.  

Hope this makes more sense.

• 3. Re: Create a relationship between related records?
              philmodjunk

It gives me more to go on, but doesn't tell me what relationships you used to set up these portals. I will assume these relationships:

Dashboard::anyfield X Portal1::anyfield

Dashboard::anyField X Portal2::anyfield

If so, then this script will create a new record in portal2:

Freeze Window
                   Go to Layout [Portal2]
                   New Record/Request
                   Go to layout [original layout]

If you don't use the X relationship, you'll need a few more script steps to enter a value into a match field in the Portal2 table.

If you want to enter data from the current row in Portal 1 into the new portal record in portal 2, modify your script like this:

Freeze Window
                   Set Variable [$Value ; value: Portal1::Field ]
                   Go to Layout [Portal2]
                   New Record/Request
                   Set Field [ Portal2::field ; $Value ]
                   Go to layout [original layout]

If you need to do this with more fields, add more variables.