7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 10:27 AM by annacaltech

create a report layout with two portals per record...

annacaltech

Title

create a report layout with two portals per record...

Hi,

I am trying to create a report layout that is sorted according to child then under each line of child have two portals from another layout displaying the parents of the child (one row in each portal and one portal for each parent). Then under each portal displaying the parents I would like a portal with two rows displaying both the parents of the parent (thus the grandparents of the child). 

I have the children, parents and grandparents in three different tables and there are relationships between them. 

Do anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
      Anna

• 1. Re: create a report layout with two portals per record...
          philmodjunk

We often recommend NOT using portals in report layouts. If you plan to print or PDF your report, there are often cases where you may have more records in a portal than are visible and then data will be missing from your report. Instead, we usually use a Summary report with Sub-summary parts that group related data above or below the "child" records.

In your case though, you may be able to use portals since the number of records in each of the portals are predictably small.

I have a few questions though on what you are trying to do.

Let's say you pull up the record for "John Smith" on your report layout. John has two parents "Jim Smith" and "Mary Smith" nee Jones. They have parents George and Marcia Smith and Fred and Jackie Jones. How do you intend to show that "Fred and Jackie" are the parents of "Mary" and "George and Marcia" are the parents of "Fred"?

• 2. Re: create a report layout with two portals per record...
            annacaltech

I intent to show that by having to portals showing the parents (each portal has one row each and the second portal will start on the second row). Then under each of these two "parent" portal rows show one portal with two rows (showing the two grandparents in the same portal). So something like this

John Smith

Jim Smith (one portal, one row)

George Smith  (one portal, first row)

Marcia Smith  (the same portal as George, second row)

Mary Smith  (one portal, one row)

Fred Jones (one portal, first row)

Jackie Jones  (the same portal as Fred, second row)

thanks,

anna 

• 3. Re: create a report layout with two portals per record...
              annacaltech

the tabs disappeared. Maybe this shows it better:

John Smith

Jim Smith (one portal, one row)

George Smith  (one portal, first row)

Marcia Smith  (the same portal as George, second row)

Mary Smith  (one portal, one row)

Fred Jones (one portal, first row)

Jackie Jones  (the same portal as Fred, second row)

• 4. Re: create a report layout with two portals per record...
                mrvodka

Why are these in 3 different tables? They should be in one people table.

Perhaps you should take a look at this article.

http://jonathanstark.com/recursive_data_structures.php

• 5. Re: create a report layout with two portals per record...
                  annacaltech

I see your point. But the thing is that this was just an example that would be easier for people to follow as the real tables are maybe a bit weird. The real thing I am trying to do is:

I have one table with many records of a species and one table with all tissue samples taken from some of the individuals. The third table is a table were I store the data files calculated from each tissue sample (these can be many as there are parameters that can be set differentially). Thus I have three tables (individuals, tissue samples, and data files and one individual has several tissue records and one tissue record has several data file records...). 

What I want is a report layout which is sorted by the individuals' ID# and under each individual there are one row per tissue taken from that person. Under each separate "tissue row" it should be a couple of rows for all the data files made from that tissue sample. 

You said something about sub-summary reports....can I do that with this problem when I have three different tables?

thanks

anna 

• 6. Re: create a report layout with two portals per record...
                    mrvodka

Create the subsummary report based off the Data table, grouped by the Tissue ID and then from the Tissue table, the Individual foreign key ID.

Remember in order for the subsummary report to work, it has to be sorted by the two break fields.

• 7. Re: create a report layout with two portals per record...
                      annacaltech
                         THANKS!!!! It looks perfect!!!