1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 12, 2011 10:07 AM by philmodjunk

Create an email of found records

JoniLindemer

Title

Create an email of found records

Hi! Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me with this question! I feel I have searched the help, forums, kb and google and I still cannot find an answer or reasonably similar question. I feel like either what I'm asking is so rudimentary it's laughable that I can't figure it out, or I am asking something that no one else has had the inclination to do. However, it could be that I am incredibly untalented with using varied search terms to find what I'm looking for.

I would like to create a database that can generate an email of a list of found records in its message body. I have a field which via calculation creates what would become a hyperlink were it to be sent through an email client. For ease of use reasons, I'd like each link to be clickable immediately rather than requiring a PDF to be opened and then clicked. I would like to find a set of records based on date of creation and get them to all show as the body of the message which I can then email to a group of individuals. Am I asking too much? Am I being silly and missing the obvious? Please help if you can!

• 1. Re: Create an email of found records
          philmodjunk

Since FileMaker only creates plain text emails, this may be a challenge unless you acquire an email plug in where you have more options.

In straight Filemaker you could do this:

Define a text field and place it on a layout that users do not have access to. Then use a script that:

Finds/sorts the records you want in the email.
          Do this on a layout designed to list only the fields you want in your email.
          Uses Copy All Records to copy the found set of data to the clip board
          go to the layout where you put this new text field and paste the clipboard contents into it.
          Now use Send Mail with a calculation expression for the message body that includes this text field.