1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2010 7:01 AM by Mystick

Create an online database like Flickr with Filemaker and FM Server?

spyro70

Title

Create an online database like Flickr with Filemaker and FM Server?

Hi there, I need to know informations about create an on line image database like Flickr with FM.

In my office asked to me to realize an images database (to storing about 6000 pictures) then to consult it with a web browser. Initially I have thinked to create something with ASP or PHO and MySQL. Then I have seen Filemaker Server and I have believed that it could be a solution for me, but I have not experience with FM product (I have only used FM 9 to personal work) so, what do you thing about these questions?:

1) Can store 6000 image in a FM database?

2) It'll be fast or slow?

3) Can share images on intranet with FM and FM server?

4) Can users upload image or change information about every picture?

5) Can install FM Server on Windows Server 2003 or 2008?

Thanks for any information that you want condivide with me!

• 1. Re: Create an online database like Flickr with Filemaker and FM Server?
          Mystick

I've done something similar...   my personnal answers :

1 - yes you could, but what I did is to keep only the path of each images inside Filemaker. Then you can keep the images inside a file server which provide a way to access them if for any reason your filemaker was down.

2- with references to images, it is fast.  I've put a script that creates thumbnails that are kept inside filemaker, so it is faster to search with the embedded thumbnails and then use the path to see the larger image.

3- yes. you can use IWP (limited on a lot of things) , but I would recommand PHP

4- yes.