1 Reply Latest reply on May 7, 2012 3:54 PM by philmodjunk

Create Backup of Record

ShaunHamid

Title

Create Backup of Record

Hi,

I am not sure if what I want is feasible, so I thought I'd give it a try here.

I have a database of records connecting to a number of episodes of a television show.  The database is broken down in tables based on the the portions of the show.  The tables go SHOW->EPISODE->MEDIA.  What I would like to do is create a method in which if I modify a particular field it will create a backup of the previous version of a record in the media table.

Allow me to elborate.  In the MEDIA table there is a number field named "version."  I want it so that if I change the version number in that field from say 1 to 2, the record is copied so I can view a previous version of the record.  Ideally, I would have this happen in a new table, so all previous versions are the child of the main record and do not clutter the main MEDIA table.  With that in mind, I created a child table of the MEDIA table named MEDIA_PREVIOUS.  I would assume that it would be executed through a script trigger, but I am not sure exactly how to do this.  Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Shaun

• 1. Re: Create Backup of Record
          philmodjunk

It might be simpler to add a button on your layout where clicking it generates a new copy of the current record, but with an incremented version field. Personally, I'd keep both records in the same table as there are many ways to keep the past version records from view when not specifically requested, but you can also set up an Import records action to copy the record into another table when you click such a button. In that case, you can use import records to copy it over, then update the version field.