4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 7:42 AM by TSGal

Create Database with Vietnamese (Unicode UTF-8) Font

Vu

Title

Create Database with Vietnamese (Unicode UTF-8) Font

HI,

I just bought FM9 today only to find that I cannot type Vietnamese font (Unicode UTF-8).  I have Windows Vista and I use a freeware called VPS to type Vietnamese.  This arrangement works for all of the Windows applications that I use.  I just thought that FM9, like other applications, should work as well.  I would appreciate in knowing how to type Vietnamese font on FM9.  Thank you. 

• 1. Re: Create Database with Vietnamese (Unicode UTF-8) Font
          TSGal

Vu:

Thank you for your post.

I do not have any experience with Vietnamese.  Therefore, I have forwarded your post to our representatives in the Far East for more information.  We are heading into an American holiday weekend (Thanksgiving), so a reply will not occur before Monday, December 1.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Create Database with Vietnamese (Unicode UTF-8) Font
            TSGal

Vu:

Sorry for the late reply.

Nothing has been reported about Vietnamese font.  FileMaker uses Unicode font, so it should work.  What is appearing on the screen?  Do you have earlier versions of FileMaker Pro where VPS works?  Any additional information you can provide would be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Create Database with Vietnamese (Unicode UTF-8) Font
              Vu

Hi TSGal,

Thank you for your sincere effort.  About Unicode font, I thought it would work with FileMaker.  That is why I bought the software.  What appears on the screen is that after typing the VNese accent there were a lot of unknown characters that were not suppose to be there, which appeared.  After this, I no longer was able to type Vietnamese anymore.  This is the first time ever that we purchased FileMaker and we use the latest version 9.  I have a trial version of FileMaker on my Mac OS X, and the built-in Vietnamese font on my Mac work well with FileMaker Pro 9.

Thank you. 

• 4. Re: Create Database with Vietnamese (Unicode UTF-8) Font
                TSGal

Vu:

It sounds like the Windows system does not support Vietnamese.  That is probably why you need to use VPS.

Under System Preferences (International) on a Mac OS, there is a Viet language option, so it is fully supported.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.