14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2011 11:48 AM by philmodjunk

Create Document Database

JOJOJacob

Title

Create Document Database

I'm a new user to filemaker pro, and i would like to create a database for the project I'm working on..

Can you please help me how would i create and manage this database + each project has multiple pdf documents I want to attach..

Many thanks :)

• 1. Re: Create Document Database
          philmodjunk

Do you know how to create related tables, container fields and portals? These are things you can look up in FileMaker help or any training materials you might have as you will need all three.

In your current table, add a serial number field if you have not already done so. You can use Replace Field Contents with the serial number option to update any existing fields with serial numbers.

Now define a separate table with at least two fields, a container field into which you will insert either copies of your documents or references to them. and an ID field to link to the serial number field in your original table.

Now you can link your two tables in a relationship and use a portal to display the records from this new table on a layout based on your original table. You can create as many records in this portal as you need in order to attach as many documents to the current record as you need.

• 2. Re: Create Document Database
            JOJOJacob

Thank you for replying :)

I did not get what you mean by the serial number, how would I add it? 

I am working on document library template, but did not know how to attach the pdf files in each container.

Thanks again..

• 3. Re: Create Document Database
              mgores

If you want to be able to attach multiple files to each project record you should have a separate table for documents containing at least a serial number and a container as Phil suggested.  The serial number is a number field set to autoenter a serial number so that each record in the table has

• 4. Re: Create Document Database
                philmodjunk

Now that I know that you are using the starter solution. I opened a copy and took a look at it. The serial number field has already been created in this file. It's the Document ID field.

• 5. Re: Create Document Database
                  mgores

I stand corrected Embarassed.  There is the Document ID field there already, missed that on my first look. 

• 6. Re: Create Document Database
                    philmodjunk

Since they didn't use a naming convention such as __pk_DocumentID so it sorts by name to the top of the list, it's easy to miss. Wink

• 7. Re: Create Document Database
                      mgores

Think the forum is being a little weird today.  My earlier post got cut short, then when I went to edit to fix it, it shortened even more.

I also noticed that there is an insert file button on the layout, that just does an insert/file script that targets the container field.  That should allow you to add the file to the container.

If you do need more than one file per project, I do recommend creating another table for the Files. with a FileID serial number, the container and a number field called fk_documentID.  Then using a portal to allow adding the multiple files.

• 8. Re: Create Document Database
                        philmodjunk

Mark, what browser App are you using? (the "textarea" box used here is really buggy and its behovior seems to change without warning.)

I'm using FireFox from a Windows box without, (knock on wood) any new issues so far.

• 9. Re: Create Document Database
                          mgores

Im using Firefox on a Mac.  usually with no problems, but occasionally will get a server not responding error when posting, then part of the post shows up.

• 10. Re: Create Document Database
                            philmodjunk

Hmm, there's a known issue where the forum mysteriously logs you out of the forum and you then have to log back in unless you've set your browser to store the password so that it logs you back in automatically. In those cases where you are composing text to post to the forum when you are logged out, you lose the entire message (that's been my experience on windows systems, anyway). I can avoid the issue if I log out and back in every morning when I first access the forum.

Don't know if this is the issue you are seeing here with part of the text being lost or not...

• 11. Re: Create Document Database
                              mgores

It has only happened 3-4 times ever, so I am not that put out by it.  Just need to remember to copy and long posts to the clipboard before I hit the "post answer" button.  Smile

• 12. Re: Create Document Database
                                philmodjunk

Ironically, just got a "comment could not be posted" replying to you and lost the whole message. Yell

I was trying to say that I no longer needed to do that since I started logging in and out each morning.... Scratch that comment!

• 13. Re: Create Document Database
                                  mgores

It can be aggravating.

Mind if I ask you something in your inbox?

• 14. Re: Create Document Database
                                    philmodjunk

That's what it's there for. Wink

Note to the public: I repond to a lot of posts so if you are posting a response to one of my posts, I may not remember the thread that you are referring to. It's better to respond directly to the original thread so I can see the context behind your message.

I prefer to use private messages for stuff that should not be aired publically or to negotiate consulting services.