3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 1:19 AM by kalle_samuelsson

Create file and save it on a pwd protected network

blaze125

Title

Create file and save it on a pwd protected network

Hi guys.  To start off, I do not work with FileMaker.  I am developing an application and my co-worker and creating one that will interact with mine.  What I'm about to ask may seem very noobish, but I do not know the answer since I have never worked with FileMaker.  I'll be asking the question because my co-worker says it can't be done, or he doesn't know how to do it.

I need him to create a text file and save it in a network path using a specified username and password.

He can not code it so it uses the Windows login info because the FileMaker app may run on multiple computers and all those computer owners must not have any rights to the folder where we need to save the file.

In VB.net I can code my application so it impersonates a user.  That's what I'd like him to do with his FileMaker application.

How do we achieve this?

• 1. Re: Create file and save it on a pwd protected network
          TSGal

blaze125:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro can export a text file and to a specific location.  However, FileMaker Pro relies on the OS privileges for read/write, so if the directory is set to read only, the file will not be created.

One option is writing to a temporary area where you do have full read/write privileges, and then you write a shell script that checks for this file on a frequent basis, and if present, put this file in the desired location.

Please let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Create file and save it on a pwd protected network
            blaze125

I so did not want to read that :smileysad:

I guess I'll have to security clear all the users who could potentially use the application from their cubicle.  Otherwise I'd have to have them all run a "FolderWatch" service on their machine.  I'm dealing with financial data here so I can't have them write the file to an "open" directory.

Thanks for your answer though.  It gave me a few ideas :smileyvery-happy:

• 3. Re: Create file and save it on a pwd protected network
              kalle_samuelsson

Just a small add to TSGal:s anwser..  you can simplify this a bit by using a Plug-In from Troi called TroiFile-Plugin.

It can read and write files to any drive or volume.. but better yet.. it can mount a volume using costum priveliges not visible to the user.

So using a FileMaker script you would be able to mount a network shared volume, export the file to it and instantly unmount the share again. The only "extra work" needed is to distribute the plug-in to your clients. The FileMaker Server can handle that in most cases though.

You find the plug-in at:

http://www.troi.com/software/fileplugin.html