4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 8:25 AM by FrankStanley

Create Find from Radio Button selection

FrankStanley

Title

Create Find from Radio Button selection

Sorry if this is answered somewhere. Couldn't find an answer having looked at the KB and forum.

I have school pupil records with 4 radio buttons showing diffrent status. I cannot see how to set up "Create a New Find" to sort and display records depending on the 4 radio buttons settings. Please point me the right direction or should I use a diffrent approach.

thanks for any repliers.

• 1. Re: Create Find from Radio Button selection
          JimMac

This in not going to be a Clear answer, since you are programing the ACTION you want.   Most User are accustomed to Click a Button or a BlueUnderlined Web Field.

FMP gives us some tools.....

Look up Help on Script Triggers.  They let you perform an action on Radio Buttons.

Or....

You might change the status of the Radio Buttons buy 4 separate Action Buttons and make the Radio buttons, not modifiable by the USER.

I Depends on what Actions and the respective timing in your DB.

Jim...

• 2. Re: Create Find from Radio Button selection
            FrankStanley

Jim, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I think a review on how best to present the data will be an idea. I will use a pull down menu and a button to sort seems to be a better approach.

thanks and have a good day.

• 3. Re: Create Find from Radio Button selection
              philmodjunk

It could be this simple:

Say you have a radio button fields with a value list of "apple", "orange" and "peach".

To find all records with "peach" selected in this field:

Enter find mode.
                   Click "Peach"
                   Click Perform Find button in tool bar.

To sort all records into three groups one for apple, one for orange and one for peach:

Select Show All Records from the Records menu
                   Select Sort Records from the Records menu.
                   Select the radio button field.
                   Click Sort

Both of these actions can also be automated in scripts.

There are also ways to perform a find that, for example found all records marked "peach" or "orange".

• 4. Re: Create Find from Radio Button selection
                FrankStanley

Hi PhilModJunk

This is just what I was after. Being a newbi, I just couldn't see how simply the solution was.

thank you so much.