6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 7:43 PM by UnionGuy

Create folders for fields, or other way to organize lots of fields?

UnionGuy

Title

Create folders for fields, or other way to organize lots of fields?

Is there a way to create folders for fleds, like there is for layouts, to make it easy to organize them? I have a lot of fields, and I would like to organize them in some other manner than having groups of them all start with the same name... Or if you have a  different suggestion for how to organize 250 fields or more, that would be great. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Create folders for fields, or other way to organize lots of fields?
          philmodjunk

Giving them all a common prefix is one option, but the first question to ask yourself when the number of fields exceeds 100 is whether all of these fields should be part of the same table or not in the first place. If you find you have multiple fields that store the same type of data, but differ only in slight name changes (such as Phone #1, Phone #1, Phone#3,...), then using a related table for these fields where you have one record for each field or group of fields will be a better database design and coincidentally will reduce the number of fields in your table.

• 2. Re: Create folders for fields, or other way to organize lots of fields?
            UnionGuy

Most of my similar fields are counts and totals. They count and total up the number of members in our organization in various categories. Would putting all these calculation fields in a different table be an appropriate use of tables? They all need to act on the info in my first table with all the membership information.

• 3. Re: Create folders for fields, or other way to organize lots of fields?
              philmodjunk

I have no of way of knowing from what little you've shared so far. I'd have to know more detail.

There are a number of different ways to compute aggregate values (values computed over more than one record) so a different approach might simplify your table, or there might not be a simpler way.

I have a number of systems where one table exceeds a 100 fields, but am always looking for ways to get that down to a more manageable number of field definitions.

One trick is to move all fields with global storage that aren't also used in relationships to their own separate and unrelated table. That reduces the number of fields in your other tables and also puts them in one place where they are easier to manage. (A field with global storage can be accessed from any layout or table in your system without the need to define a relationship to the table where the global field is defined.)

• 4. Re: Create folders for fields, or other way to organize lots of fields?
                UnionGuy

I have very few global storage fields, but lots of dynamic calculation and summary fields. One problem (mentioned in an earlier post to the forum) is no easy way to total the number of instances of certain values in checkboxes, so I end up doubling the number of fields, a calculation field to put a count of 1 in a record and a summary field to add them all up.

I will look into tables and other ways to get the number of fields down. Thanks for the help.

• 5. Re: Create folders for fields, or other way to organize lots of fields?
                  philmodjunk

If you need to tbulated selected check box field values, it is sometimes better to use a table of related records to tally the user's value selections. A portal to such a table can be set up to look and function just like a check box set, but now you have the option of including a scroll bar if it is useful to do so. Since the selected values are in a related table, counting different selected values is often far easier than trying to use calcualtion fields to extract counts of specific selected values.

• 6. Re: Create folders for fields, or other way to organize lots of fields?
                    UnionGuy

Sounds good. Thanks for all your time and tips.