AnsweredAssumed Answered

Create History of Multiple Fields

Question asked by ShaunHamid on Aug 27, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 28, 2012 by ShaunHamid

Title

Create History of Multiple Fields

I have a somewhat complex idea (well it seems complex to me) and these forums have always steered me right.

I have a database of records connecting to a number of episodes of a television show.  The database is broken down in tables based on the the portions of the show.  The tables go SHOW->EPISODE->MEDIA. 

In the EPISODE table, there is a pair of shipping fields.  One field "ship_status" indicates if it is sent or sent revised and a "ship_date" field lists the date.  What I would like to do is create a method in which if I modify both fields it will create an archived piece of information listing such.  For example, if I shipped an episode on 8/17/12 it would say "Shipped 08/17/12" but if I later ship a revised version it would list the previous ship on 8/17/12 as well as the new shipment. 

I have been able to create a field "shipping_change_log" that lists modifications of either field in a list with an autocalc text field that uses the following calculation:

shipping_change_log & ship_status & " " & ship_date & ¶

It works well except that it creates a list entry if I modify either field, and so I have entries that are half complete.  Is there a more legant way to achieve this?  The only stop gap idea I can come up with is to create an individual log for each field and place them side by side, but that seems clumsy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Shaun

Outcomes