2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 3:05 PM by crichter

Create record in related table

crichter

Title

Create record in related table

Hello,

I want to create  a new record in a related table only if the related record is not yet existing. I also want to "copy" the KnownPeptides::NP# field content of the current record to the newly created record.

The script below I creates always new blank records in the related table even if there is a related record.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Constance

CreateNewRecordRelatedTable

Set Variable [ $ParentID[KnownPeptides::NP#]; Value:KnownPeptides::NP# ]
           If [ GetField ( KnownPeptides::NP# ) = $ParentID ]
              Go to Related Record [ Show only related records; From table: “Transgenes”; Using layout: “Transgenes” (Transgenes) ]
           Else If [ GetField ( KnownPeptides::NP# ) ≠ $ParentID ]
              Go to Layout [ “Transgenes” (Transgenes) ]
              New Record/Request
              Set Field [ Transgenes::NP#; $ParentID ]
           End If

Screenshot_2014-06-11_22.35.19.png

• 1. Re: Create record in related table
          philmodjunk

Get Field is the wrong function to use here and that's why the Go to related records step is never executed and it always creates a new related record.

Assuming that your relationship is:

KnownPeptides::NP# = Transgenes::NP#

That If expression should be:

If [ Not IsEmpty ( Transgenes::NP# ) ]

And you just need Else, not Else If as the second part of this If Block.

And I don't see any reason to use a repeating variable for the ParentID like you do. Given the way that you use that notation, I don't see how $ParentID [1] which is what $ParentID references mean ever get a value since you are assigning that value to $ParentID[KnownPeptides::NP#] which is not the same thing.

But if you enabled "allow creation of records in this table via this relationship", your entire script could be reduced to a single line:

Set Field [ Transgenes::NP#; KnownPeptides::NP# ]

If the related record exists, the NP# field in the related record already has this value. If no related record exists, one is created. All in one script step.

• 2. Re: Create record in related table
            crichter

Thank you!

using the one line of script (set field etc.) worked perfectly.