14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2011 7:19 PM by BretMiller

Create Relational Database using Unique Identifier, consolidate tables using Unique Identifier

BretMiller

Title

Create Relational Database using Unique Identifier, consolidate tables using Unique Identifier

I have 5 tables.  The first table AAAA, represents information about a list of properties (630K).  Each of the records in AAAA has it's own unique identifier, HdrArea.   There are 4 more tables too (AAAC, Sale Record, Hygine, AGNT), they contain additional information that may or may not exist about some of the records in AAAA.  These records are also noted with the unique identifier, HdrArea.  and if there is no information of the type represented in that table then there will be no record at all.

I can not get these tables to work in relation with AAAA, I conected the tables using Manage Database, Relationships, as you can see in my screenshot.  But when I modify the layout in browse view to represent the fields that occur in the other tables (AAAC, Sale Record, Hygine, AGNT) all of the fields are blank and unpopulated.

What am I doing wrong?  I think it may have something to do with FMP understanding that HdrArea is a unique id (Serial #)???  Or perhaps there is a step that I must apply to populate the fields that I have added to my view?

If it would be easier for me to simply consolidate these 5 tables into one I would be happy to do so.  I have no problem with adding all of the fields from the 4 supplemental tables onto the end of the primary, AAAA, table, provided that the correct fields were attached onto the correct records based on theie unique ID.

Screen_shot_2011-06-26_at_11.14.30_PM.png