1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 2, 2011 11:16 PM by bumper

Create same entry onto numerous records on a portal via a search

ZaidaGudenus

Title

Create same entry onto numerous records on a portal via a search

I have a contact database in which I when I look through a contacts record I have a "Communication" portal that will tell me what contact I've made (Date, type[list], Notes).

Sometimes I do a search with a certain criteria (ie what type of contact they are or area, etc) and then do a mailout or mass communication to these people (could easily about 900 people).

What I would like to know is how to create a new entry into each of their "Communication" portal entry detailing the date, type of communication and notes so that all 900 have the same entry.

Currently I'm doing the crazy thing of going record one by one and creating this entry all 900 of them into their corresponding records....  

Help!!

I know it's most probably a simple scrip or something like that but am at a bit of a loss on how to go about it.

• 1. Re: Create same entry onto numerous records on a portal via a search
          bumper

If you are using FileMaker to send out the email or letter, then I assume you are using a looping script on a found set to send each one out. If that is the case then you can just add the  script steps before you go to the next record to create a new "log" record in the communication table with the information . If you are creating the letter external to FileMaker, then just create the looping script sans the letter creation, recreate the found set and then run the script.