3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2011 3:26 AM by faustinoaustacchio

create table hardware pc product... help!

faustinoaustacchio

Title

create table hardware pc product... help!

Hello everyone,

I am new to forum and also new to filemaker need of help.

I am currently using filemaker pro 11 adv on OSX Lion and my problem is as follows:

I have to create a table for hardware pc product and, as you know very wellin addition to fields common to all products such as ID, description, price, etc. .. each category have its peculiarities such as HD have the amount of memory "GBmotherboardshave a socket type, the webcams have resolution "Megapixel" and so on .. I need suggestions on how to set the thing because I do not think it's a good idea to create a huge table and put all this into products ...

Some people of good will gives me some advice??

Thanks in advance for your time.

UPDATE ------------

I thought to create a table containing all fields generic and another with the details but I do not know how to connect the two.

someone help me?

• 1. Re: create table hardware pc product... help!
          mgores

Each table should have a number field that is an autoentered serial number.  Typically something like ProductID  in the product table.  Another table, say Accessories, would have AccessoryID.

To associated an Accessory to a Product, assuming that each product could have multiple accessories and each accessory could be added to multiple products, you would need a third table that would hold the combinations of Product and Accessory IDs, called a Join table.

The relationships (connections) would then be

Products::ProductID = Product_Accessory::ProductID

Accessories::AccessoryID = Product_Accessory::AccessoryID

• 2. Re: create table hardware pc product... help!
            philmodjunk

You might also set up a related "details" table with three fields (assuming you can always enter the details as text, otherwise you may need a few more fields.)

ProductID, Detailname, DetailData

A Portal to this details table could be set up with a dropdown list of values for detailname and an edit box format for detail data.

To list the details for a specific product, you select, such as GB or Megapixels in the drop down and then enter the value associated with it (130 for a 130 GB HD for example). This gives you a generic list you can build to any needed length to list details about the product.

• 3. Re: create table hardware pc product... help!
              faustinoaustacchio

thanks for your answers!

indeed a many to many relationship leads to a better result ...

great idea, that of the portal, I think I'll start from here.

thank you again.