3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2013 8:53 AM by philmodjunk

Create, Edit and Saving New Records

beano129

Title

Create, Edit and Saving New Records

Good Afternoon all, 

All rise for a noob :-) 

I'm creating a database from scratch at the moment - started well but whilse speaking to the people (well person) who'll be using it the most, I need to enable her with an option to find records and save a new one from an existing record... if this makes sence. Affecting using a pre-existing records as a template and by making a change to a key date, this act then saves a new record in the database. 

my immediate thought was using multiple templates that have different properties but it got me thinking that there must be a simpler way. 

I'm adding a database to allow a user to enter and track serial numbers of our product in. our financial system does not have this capability and we want to be able to better store the history of of our machines.

So this databse will have the primary field of serial number. 

What we want to be able to do is:- 

1. search to see of a S/N in already in the database. (If not, then user will simply create new entry)

2. if search brings back 1 or more results, the new enttry will either be a repair or upgrade so we want to capture the new data but use the existing to fill in the blanks. Therefore cutting down on data entry. 

I want the user to be able to change the status of the invocie type field and in the process, duplicate the majority of the information of the record to create a new one.

I have 3 radio buttons called Invocie Type which are either, SALE / REPAIR or UPGRADE.

What I would also like in the event of multiple repairs, IF the date field attached to the Invoice Type gets changed by the user, this act will also create a new record using the existing record as a template and then the user can make any additional changes in the confidence that it's the new record. 

Does anyone know what options or combination of options would best make somthing like this happen? 

• 1. Re: Create, Edit and Saving New Records
          philmodjunk

Duplicate Record is a menu option and also a script step. It can duplicate an existing record. If used in a script, one step can duplicate the record and subsequent steps can modify values in fields where they need to be cleared or different data, such as today's date needs to be entered.

But such duplication may not be necessary. If you have a table for invoices, a table, with your serial number, for the items being serviced/sold and a third table for your customers. You can use links to the same equipment and customer records for a repair invoice to avoid the need to duplicate any data.

Finds to search for records can be performed manually or in a script. For some examples of how to create a script that performs a find, see this thread: Scripted Find Examples

• 2. Re: Create, Edit and Saving New Records
            beano129

Hi there Phil, 

Thank you very much for your help - I'm slowly getting to know the in's and out's of the software and I've been working through the tutorials to familiarise myself with some of the things.

My eventual plan is to have 4-6 Databases that I can then create relationships between to get out what I need.

The problem is that i'm like a child in a sweet shop at the moment because there's so much that one can do with the software and i'm just diving in at the deepend and figuring stuff out as I go.

For example i'm working on the web publishing at the moment and I can't get one of the databases to be viewed properly because I'm getting a message stating "incorrectly formatted - needs to be in classic layout" and even though i've done that.. i'm stll getting the same error message.

Its just such an emensly powerful tool that I feel I could be here for a long time just learning.

What I really want to accomplish with this particualr post however is now sorted so I will close this one down and start to open up some more. 

Thanks again 

• 3. Re: Create, Edit and Saving New Records
              philmodjunk

My eventual plan is to have 4-6 Databases that I can then create relationships between to get out what I need.

If you take out the workd "Database" and put the word "Table" in place of it, you'll be better off when communicating with a forum such as this. "Database" can refer to a single table in a single file, a file of multiple tables or multiple files with multiple tables in each. And that lack of precision in its meaning can lead to misunderstandings.

For example i'm working on the web publishing at the moment and I can't get one of the databases to be viewed properly because I'm getting a message stating "incorrectly formatted - needs to be in classic layout" and even though i've done that.. i'm stll getting the same error message.

Make sure that all layouts in that file have the classic theme specified. If you have users that do not use a web browser to access your database and you want them to see the new FileMaker 12 themes on their layouts, you may need to set up a second file of those layouts that uses external datasource references in order to access the tables in your web published file.