1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 10, 2011 11:43 AM by philmodjunk

Creating 'search-layout' with check box fields

GertvanOss

Title

Creating 'search-layout' with check box fields

Hi,

I'm working 

on a database (Contacts) where each contact can have several 'Tags'. The relationships I use are in the attached image.

In order to make it possible to select contacts with both: 'Tag A' and 'Tag B' I use a calculation field "List ( table::Tags )". For each contact, Tags are listed as text. This field is searched as suggested by PhilModJunk in http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/9dc347efed

This all works fine. I'd like to take it to the next step whereby I create a 'search-layout'. This layout should have all Tags as check-boxes. I would then be able to use this screen to start my queries whereby I use scripts that will target the List ( table::Tags ) (AND by using new find requests vs OR by putting all tags in the List ( table::Tags ) at once ).

What would be the most efficient way to create the checkboxes.
      I'm puzzled in getting the Tag-values all listed in a layout that has nothing to do with the other tables.

Thanks,
      Gert

relations.png

• 1. Re: Creating 'search-layout' with check box fields
          philmodjunk

You can do this on a layout to Tags with a list view layout or with a layout based on Contacts with a portal to AllTags.

Is this file now or possibly in the future to be a file that is shared over a network so that multiple users might do this at the same time?

For a system that is always a single user system, you can add a selection field in tags that you can use for this. For a multi-user system or one that might someday become a multi-user system, you can set up a global field and use selection scripts to add/remove items from the list of ID's in the global field to produce your check box action, but without one user's selections interferring with those made by another...