6 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2011 9:40 AM by artdoc

creating / printing multiple page forms

KCGlass

Title

creating / printing multiple page forms

How do you create and then print/export PDF of a form that needs multiple pages?  I have a lot of data that I need to have in one report for each record and I can't figure out how to build a "continued" document. Does Filemaker allow for variable size fields that then expand to print all of the data if needed?  For example, a typical entry may only need 10 lines but on occassion the entry may need 20 lines.  I know as a record on the screen you can scroll to see the entry but what if I want to print or export as a pdf so others can view my report?  I don't want it to be cut off.

If FileMaker can not do that, do you have any suggestions of an application that can?

• 1. Re: creating / printing multiple page forms
          philmodjunk

I have a lot of data that I need to have in one report for each record and I can't figure out how to build a "continued" document.

There's an option with Save Records as PDF that allows you to append the PDF to an existing file. You can save the PDF from the first set of pages then each subsequent "save as PDF" can append to it. You can use variables to determine the file path and file name of this PDF and then refer to it repeatedly with each subsequent save as PDF.

Does Filemaker allow for variable size fields that then expand to print all of the data if needed?  For example, a typical entry may only need 10 lines but on occassion the entry may need 20 lines.  .

Filemaker cannot expand fields, but it can shrink them. You can make each such field as many lines tall as the largest possible number of lines of text and then use the Sliding and Visibility section of the Inspector's position tab to set them to "slide up" | "Also resize enclosing part" to shrink them down and slide them up to remove unused space in your report.

Key facts about sliding:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          2. All layout objects below a slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          3. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          5. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.

I have a lot of data that I need to have in one report for each record

You can create a layout that is several pages tall for each record. If that is not enough, then you may need to reevaluate the design of your record to see if it really should be "all in one record". If you can break up the data in one record into several records or one Parent record with a set of related child records, you can get a great deal more flexibility in the design of your report layout and perhaps avoid the need to stitch together several PDF'ed reports to get what you need here.

• 2. Re: creating / printing multiple page forms
            KCGlass

Thank you for your quick response! Where can I go in the help tools to find how to do what you are talking about with sliding? I was able to figure out how to create several pages. That is very helpful.

• 3. Re: creating / printing multiple page forms
              philmodjunk

Try entering "sliding" as your search text in FileMaker help. The first article to be listed on my system was "Removing blank spaces in print outs" and describes setting up fields to slide in pretty fair detail.

• 4. Re: creating / printing multiple page forms
                artdoc

I have a lot of data that I need to have in one report for each record

You can create a layout that is several pages tall for each record.

- - -

I asked the same question a few days ago, and now finding this, I need to ask again: what am I missing? I can't find a way to make a layout several pages tall. My four pages of cantract are set up on four layots: Page 1, Page 2, etc.

What am I missing?

— Steve

• 5. Re: creating / printing multiple page forms
                  philmodjunk
                  1. Enter layout mode
                  2. Click on the bottom boundary of the body layout part and drag downward to make it taller.
                  3. You can also click on the Body part label and then enter a larger height in the Inspector's Position tab.

If you first select your printer in printer setup before making this change, A horizontal page break line will appear on your layout to tell you where you'll get a page break if none of your layout objects slide up/resize the enclosing part.

• 6. Re: creating / printing multiple page forms
                    artdoc

That was too easy! I had sort of tried that but expected I'd need to insert page break symbols or something. Of course as I wade through this relearning process, I now see that page details stay put without some hidden symbol. I guess it will be easy enough to just hard code a page number since my contract is not going to extend to more pages.

Thanks for the help.

— Steve