4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 9:28 AM by NAF

Creating a "table"?

NAF

Title

Creating a "table"?

Hi, 

The part of the layout for the database I'm trying to set up is a 7x5 table.   The dumb straightforward way I tried is not good because field instead of being fillable, show the same information when I fill up the first "cell" in the table.  I know I can set up a separate field for every "cell" in the "table" and give it the properties I nee, BUT I am wondering if there is a smarter way to do it? 

I apologize for being not clear , I am a newbee here, be glad to answer any questions you might have to help you help me.

Thanks!

-S.  

• 1. Re: Creating a "table"?
          philmodjunk

NAF wrote:

Hi, 

I know I can set up a separate field for every "cell" in the "table" and give it the properties I nee, BUT I am wondering if there is a smarter way to do it? 

Define one field for each column in your table. Then create a record for each row. Thus, you define 7 fields and create 5 records to get a 7 column, 5 row table. Then set your layout for either table or list view and you're done.

• 2. Re: Creating a "table"?
            NAF

mmmm..... no it's is not exactly what I need... This means in the end I will have a separate database for every protocol in a list view consisting of 5 (or whaever number of components) records... I'm trying to get away with one database for all protocols. 

Ok. More details. Every record I will have is a protocol on making a certain chemical solution. So the first "column" will be an ingredient name e.g. NaCl, NaOH, H2O (and it should be different in every "row"). Second column is grams per one liter, I will enter it manually. The third(forth) column is grams per 2(3) liters, it will be calculated based on the information from the first row in this column (e.g."2") and second columns (grams per one liter). The first top "row" will be a title (and a multiplier).  1L, 2L,  3l, custom... All I can come up with now is setting up 35 (or so) separate fields. But is there  a trick to avoid creating many separate fields?? 

• 3. Re: Creating a "table"?
              philmodjunk

Yes, follow my suggestion. :smileywink:

You won't have a separate database for every protocol. You can do this with a single table if you want. You can add a second table with one record per protocol if you want, (I think that's what you mean by having a separate database), which sounds like a good idea to me, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

Add at least one more field for the name of your protocol. Put the same protocol name in all records for the same protocol. Use a find to pull up found sets for one protocol at a time. You can do the find "by hand" or you can use scripts with buttons and/or a drop down field to make it easier.

• 4. Re: Creating a "table"?
                NAF
                   ok, I'll try. :)