4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 9:42 AM by philmodjunk

Creating a classroom seating plan

misterg65

Title

Creating a classroom seating plan

I've searched the internet and google has let me down.

I currently have an Excel spreadsheet (link) that shows the desks in my classroom and the students names. Each cell on the seats sheet points to a cell in the pupils sheet. If I rearrange the pupil list (e.g. as the result of an exam) the seating plan can be updated automatically.

Is there some way of doing something similar to this in FileMaker? Ultimately I would envisage clicking on the student's name in the seating plan and going to the record that showed the data such as test scores and attendance, held on a separate part of the database

Thanks in advance

-- 

Mark

• 1. Re: Creating a classroom seating plan
          philmodjunk

You can certainly set up a grid of fields in FileMaker and clicking one could take you to a detail record on that student. A seatID or even a pair of row, column fields could be used to make a given student name/record appear in a given seat location on your layout.

I'd probably try doing this with a technique known as a "horizontal portal". Define a relationship that links your SeatingChart record (Or if you have multiple classes, this can be a "class" record with one record per class.) To your all your students for that class. Instead of using a single portal to list all the students in a single vertical column, you can place a row or grid of portals where each portal refers to the same table occurrence (box in Manage | Database | Relationships), but the first portal is set to display initial row: 1 , number of rows: 1, the next is set to show initial row 2, number of rows 1, and so forth. By sorting your portals by seat id ( or by row, then by column). You can move a student to a different location just by changing the value in this field or pair of fields.

• 2. Re: Creating a classroom seating plan
            misterg65

Thank you! I understand bits of this and can see the general idea so, with my book and help files in hand, I will have a go! I am really enjoying learning new skills after many years in the spreadsheet wilderness!

Thanks for all the advice :)

• 3. Re: Creating a classroom seating plan
              misterg65

I know I'm doing something wrong, but I can't find out what.

I have two tables:

Students: This has the name and studentID

Seats: Seat number and StudentID as foreign key

The relationship links these by the studentIDs

I created a portal pointing to students::studentName with 1 row at record 1 and "Abigail" shows up

The second portal, set up in a similar fashion has 1 row starting at record 2. This appears as a blank box and "Brian" doesn't appear on this layout until I scroll to the next record.

I've tried linking the two tables by a seatnumber code with the same result. I am obviously out of my depth here, and am returning to Excel for the time being, but I really want to get this sorted out :)

Thanks in advance for putting up with a newbie!

-- 

Mark

• 4. Re: Creating a classroom seating plan
                philmodjunk

You need a different relationship. One where a single record in the parent table links to all the students in a given class session. I don't know if you have multiple classes or a single class roster, but assuming you have multiple classes, you could use this table structure:

Classes (Fields would include ClassID, Subject, Period or startTime, etc.)
                Students ( Student name, StudentID, ClassID, assigned seat number, etc...)

You'd define your relationship like this:

Classes::ClassID = Students::ClassID

Create the Grid of Portals to students on your Classes layout.

Note: If one student might possibly attend more than one of your classes, you may want to include a Join table between Classes and Students.