7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2012 10:49 AM by JenniferSavage

Creating a customized report in FileMaker Pro 11

JenniferSavage

Title

Creating a customized report in FileMaker Pro 11

I need to create a printable report which displays 4 separate sections of lengthy information.  I am doing this because my current layout ramifcations do not have the capacity to hold such large information and I need the info to be printable; neatly and succinctly.  Therefore, the information is not already listed in fields somewhere in my database layout.  I am hoping to create a report separate from my layout that can be accessed by clicking on the "Your own Report" button which is under the Report tab in my layout so that it is accessibke from the layout itseld and thus, remains organized.  In other words, I would like this to be information that is separately stored in a report that is accessible by creating a report that is attachable to the "Your own Report" button on my layout.  It is requiring that I create a script and attach it to the button, but I am getting the feeling that I can only do that with information already in fields within layout itself which is poinless for my purposes.  Also, I am unclear on how to create a script.  Does this make sense?  Ideas?  Thanks   

• 1. Re: Creating a customized report in FileMaker Pro 11
          philmodjunk

It's not completely clear what you are trying to do nor why you can't enter this data into text fields for including as part of your report. A script can switch from layout to layout  printing records from each and you can use Save As PDF in a script to append PDF's from Filemaker to combine things into a single report.

But it's not clear that you actually need try either of those methods here.

• 2. Re: Creating a customized report in FileMaker Pro 11
            JenniferSavage

Okay.  The first issue I have is that the specific design of the layout that I am using simply does not allow the room for as much data as I require to enter.  To save us time I will say now that using scroll bars in the fields will not help becasue the entirety of the data enetered into each field needs to be visible without having to scroll down for more information.  The reason for this is that when the information is printed (which is primarily how this particular information will be viewed) ALL of the information must be visible.  Relying on a scroll bar wil then, not be sufficient for this purpose.  Also, I did not personally create the design of layout and it is fairly intricate.  So, I am unsure of how to alter it efficiently for my purposes.  If I did changing the design of the layout would certainly be an option. 

So then secondly,  what I am attempting to do is create a separate report apart from the layout that I can attach to the "Your own Reports" button WITHIN the layout so that it can be both accessed thorugh the layout and printed at the same time.

It is asking me to create a script.  From the sounds of your response, I was correct in my understanding that I am only able to create a script that gathers information already entered into the layout.  In this case then that is not helpful to me.

Any other suggestions? 

• 3. Re: Creating a customized report in FileMaker Pro 11
              philmodjunk

Yes, but you do not need to enter all the text in a single field of a single record. It can be divided up and entered in to several records. This text can be placed in a field sized very large, but set to slide up | resize enclosing part so that any unused space in the field disappears when you print, preview or save as PDF.

So then secondly,  what I am attempting to do is create a separate report apart from the layout that I can attach to the "Your own Reports" button WITHIN the layout so that it can be both accessed thorugh the layout and printed at the same time.

I'm not sure what you are describing here. What you can do is create a script that brings up layout 1 and prints the data found there, then changes to layout 2 and prints the data there. The script might be very simple, it might not be. It depends on the design of your layout and the tables to which it refers.

• 4. Re: Creating a customized report in FileMaker Pro 11
                JenniferSavage

I really appreciate your willingness to help me and I am grateful that you are attempting.  I have to say however, that this is just not helpful at al  to me since I do not know how to utilize the functions that you are describing, you cannot understand my question, and I am not sure how to manipulate my layout, create scripts, or link layouts.  Unfortunately, the tutorials found online are plentiful but never specific or detailed enough to solve my issues in using the system.  The software is very intricate and if you are not skilled in how to use it, you can;t do much.  What's worse, you can really mess up the storgae of your data if you make a mistake.  So, I am not sure that I can afford to fiddle with it.  I am guessing that you are an employee of the company?  Is there a phone number in which I can reach a live person to talk to?

• 5. Re: Creating a customized report in FileMaker Pro 11
                  philmodjunk

I am a fellow fileMaker user that has been using the product since it was known as Filemaker Pro 2.5... I volunteer my help here in this forum.

• 6. Re: Creating a customized report in FileMaker Pro 11
                    philmodjunk

You might try uploading a "mock up" of the report you are trying to produce in Filemaker. Even if you are just typing up place holder text in a word processor and then pasting the text or uploading a screen shot, it may help me see what you are trying to do so that I can make a more specific suggestion.

So far in this thread, I have only the most general sense of what you want to do. Thus, my sugestions have been limited to general suggestions that might or might not help.

• 7. Re: Creating a customized report in FileMaker Pro 11
                      JenniferSavage

Thanks. I will try to upload again.  I did once before but my file was not acceptable.  I will try again to save as a jpeg.