AnsweredAssumed Answered

Creating a Database Homepage

Question asked by GarethForwood on Jul 28, 2010
Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 by GarethForwood

Title

Creating a Database Homepage

Hi all,

I want to create a homepage for my photo database, that provides an easy location from which to access the most useful forms and search functions.  I have created scripts to link to these pages and change the view mode where necessary.  Aside from the links, I also want to show 5 random photos from my entire collection, and 5 random photos from those with a high rating (i.e. the field "rating" = 5).  I also want to show some key database statistics on the homepage (e.g. No. Photos, No. unique values for particular fields, 5 most common values of particular fields etc).  Finally, I would like to have a search function on the homepage, where I can search for values in particular fields but also a "keyword" search that searches all the fields.

My questions are:

1. Would this layout best be achieved in the Browse mode?  If not, which mode would be best?
  2. How do I go about returning the random records?
  3. Is a search feature possible in Browse mode (assuming that this is the best mode for the layout)?

Many thanks to all who can answer, I have learned so much in such little time thanks to you all!

Gareth

Outcomes