1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 8:39 AM by philmodjunk

Creating a database to track contacts and event attendance - struggling

EmmaFox

Title

Creating a database to track contacts and event attendance - struggling

Hi all,

I'm new to filemaker pro and have got so far with my database following online tutorials etc but have got to the point where I'm now stuck. Here's what I'm trying to create:

A database with three main tables as follows:

Contacts - will hold all contact details

Events- will hold all information relating to event such as name, date, venue, etc

Projects - all info about research projects such as project name, description, start and end dates

I will need to link the contacts to each of the other two tables to show who is organising the events and the projects (can be multiple people)

Events come under a project heading so will need to link these tables

Also need to track which contacts have been to which of our events

I have set up an event attendance table which contains an attendance ID, contact ID (FK) and event ID (FK) and set up the relationships for these. I have tried setting up various portals in the contacts and the events tables to be able to link these records and show in the layout that person x has been to events 2, 4 and 7 but I just can't figure it out or get it to work.

I am using Filemaker Pro 12

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Creating a database to track contacts and event attendance - struggling
          philmodjunk

You appear to have these relationships:

Projects>----Contacts------<Attendance>-------Events

Projects::_fkContactID = Contacts::__pkContactID
               Contacts::__pkContactID = Attendance::_fkContactID
               Events::_fkEventID = Attendance::_fkEventID

Assuming that Contacts will list each person that may attend an event, you'd record attendance via a field defined in the attendance table. A portal to Attendance on the Contacts table could list all events for which that contact was "registered" or "invited" and if you place the attendance field in that portal, it will show which events that contact attended. You can also generate attendance summary reports on layouts based on the Attendance table.

You may find this demo file, which coincidentally demos matching Contacts to Events, helpful: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyir7cs0yxmbn6i/ManyToManywDemoWExtras.fp7