3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 12:09 PM by philmodjunk

Creating a default table/tab to be copied as needed onto new table/tabs.

jpee

Title

Creating a default table/tab to be copied as needed onto new table/tabs.

I have spent a lot of time creating a customized inventory table - it is more or less the same layout as you get with the default inventory database that FMP10 offers - I have just created new fields to reflect what I need and deleted ones that i do not want.  I call this my default table/tab.  I did that the right way i hope creating these new field via the data base manager.

I know how to create a new tab with the tab control set up but now I want to (in effect) copy and paste the contents of my new customized inventory table/tab onto the new blank table.  There are two problems - the first is that it is time consuming to have to go through a copy past every time i need to create a new tab and second when I do this I for some reason do not get the insert picture or export picture button which i need.  I probably am approaching the problem the wrong way but I would love to know after getting so far.

Thanks

Jpee 

• 1. Re: Creating a default table/tab to be copied as needed onto new table/tabs.
          philmodjunk

You seem to be working with two different things here: Layout Objects and a Table.

Are you trying to create a new layout and then copy and paste the tab control (or a portion of the tab control) to the new layout?

If so, is the layout based on a different table?

What layout objects have you placed in the tab control? Fields, buttons, layout text, graphic objects...?

If this is NOT what you are doing, are you attempting to move the information shown in the tab control to a different table?

Or are you trying to do something else here?

• 2. Re: Creating a default table/tab to be copied as needed onto new table/tabs.
            jpee

Nice of you to try and help me.  I just realized that with my cut and past method that it carries over (or shares) the data that is typed into a given field  .... I wanted to do this so I could get a blank slate so each could carry data independent from the other.  Almost like having 2 data bases within one or perhaps better said a sub database.  I am trying to deal with a inventory with multiples of the same object but that are different sizes .... and I thought i had a good idea to have a tab for multiples in one size and anther tab for multiples in another .... hmmmm need to think some more. 

I will be back but if you have any thoughts i would be happy to hear them

Jpee 

• 3. Re: Creating a default table/tab to be copied as needed onto new table/tabs.
              philmodjunk

This doesn't sound like a good use for tab controls.

You might want to see if you can set up a portal with a filtered relationship to do what you want instead.