8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 9:39 AM by philmodjunk

Creating a drop down list in table B from records entered in table A

Path

Title

Creating a drop down list in table B from records entered in table A

Hello there,

We are pulling our hear here trying to figure out how to create a drop down list of data entered into a table. We are new into filemaker and the database world so apologies if this is clear somewhere else and we can't find the source. After 3 days we have decided to post a query :-)

We have One table where we are entering data (called: Competitions) and we need to enter several awards into each category, but each competition has several awards (all different). We also need to categorise the awards. So the idea is to have a competition profile and then be able to link several awards, therefore we need a drop down list (or pop up) that populates the data entered in the Competition Table. We know how to create the drop down value list but when we try to use a table as lets say "value list" it doesn't work at all. It is obviously something very small that we can't see at the moment... any help would be very much appreciated!!

We are using Mac Os and File Maker Pro 10. 

Thanks <3

Elora & Ciara 

• 1. Re: Creating a drop down list in table B from records entered in table A
          philmodjunk

"it doesn't work at all."

How doesn't it work for you?

How exactly did you try to set this up?

• 2. Re: Creating a drop down list in table B from records entered in table A
            Path

When we try to use a field as a source for a value list, it shows us a blank value list even though we have data. 

When we use custom fields(typed manually), value lists work. Data entered in other tables doesn't seem to be available to use as a drop down list.

We want to use a drop down list that is created from data entered in another table.  

• 3. Re: Creating a drop down list in table B from records entered in table A
              philmodjunk

Things I can think of that might keep this from working:

If there's any calculation involved, make sure that the field is a stored, indexed field

Check your field types. Is the field where these values stored a text field or a number field?

Make sure that you are specifying the correct field in table B. If you selected the wrong field, then you might not have any values to display.

• 4. Re: Creating a drop down list in table B from records entered in table A
                Path

When the source in the value list is "from field", the value list does not show. We have no calculations. The field type is text. We want to pull data entered in "competition name" in one table to "competition name" in another table and make it that data entered in the second table is as the same record. 

Lets say for ID 1, we want to enter a detail like award, how do we match ID 1 in the second table to the first table?????

• 5. Re: Creating a drop down list in table B from records entered in table A
                  philmodjunk

Let's walk through this step by step and see where we end up with different results.

I define two tables, Competitors and Awards.

In awards I have one text field, Award, and enter the following into three records in this table:

First Place

Second Place

Third Place

I define one text field in Competitors, CompAward.

I use Manage | Valuelists... to create a new value list called "Award List".

I click the specify field option and select Award from the Awards table.

I format CompAward on a layout as a drop down list and select "Award List" for its list of values.

Now, I enter browse mode and click into CompAward. The drop down list appears and I see the above three values listed in my drop down.

Can you get this to work?

Is this what you wanted?

"how do we match ID 1 in the second table to the first table"

That suggests you may need a conditional value list, but let's make sure you can make the above steps work first.

• 6. Re: Creating a drop down list in table B from records entered in table A
                    SiputSarawak

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer the original question , Phil, but I believe you have not quite gotten the hang of the problem. 

The problem is as follows:

Let us take as an example that we have two tables - 

table Employees

with fields; Emp_Nr, Emp_Name and Dept_Name.

and  table Department

with fields; Dept_Nr, Dept_Name

When entering data into the Employees table, I want that the Dept_Name field act like a drop down list which displays data which I have already entered previously into the Department table for ex. "Admin", ""IT", "Sales".

How do I do this ?

I too, like the ones who posted this question originally, cannot do this and I am looking for a solution.

Why I am doing it this way is because, I would like any changes made in the Department table ie. deletions or editing, to be reflected immedietly in the drop down list of the Employee layout.

Any help youor anyone else can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Geronimo B.

• 7. Re: Creating a drop down list in table B from records entered in table A
                      SiputSarawak

Dear Path Visitor,

I ad the same problem as you and went about solving it i the same way as you, but to no avail. I was just trying somethings new out when I discovered that the relationship was wrong. Try fiddling around with the relationship between the tables. Try the x i instead of 0. Mine worked !

GB

• 8. Re: Creating a drop down list in table B from records entered in table A
                        philmodjunk

SiputSarawak,

What you asked for should work for you if you apply the steps I've posted above for Path.

Here's a demo file that uses your exact table and field names: http://www.4shared.com/file/vbIrbz3l/EmployeesDepartments.html

Note: If I were creating your database, I'd link the tables by a Dept_ID (not an externally supplied department number as those can change) set up as an auto-entered serial number and use a 2 column value list (Dept _ID in column 1, Dept name in column 2) to link a given employee to their department record.