3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2011 6:59 PM by TimMartin

Creating a field that aggregates information from a portal

TimMartin

Title

Creating a field that aggregates information from a portal

I'm probably going about this all wrong but here is what I'm trying to do. I have 2 portals on my layout. I would like to copy the information from those portals into one field I have called "description" In that field I will interject html tags to format the info from the portal. So essentially I want to flatten the info from the portals in to one field. Is there a way to copy records from a portal using a calculation field? or do I have to create a more complicated script with a button on something to copy the records from the portals into my one "description" field?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Creating a field that aggregates information from a portal
          philmodjunk

If you can work with an unstored calculation field, you can do this with the list function.

In the portal table, create a calculation field that merges any fields from the same record. (skip this step if it's already just one field from each record that you want to combine.)

Then Substitute ( List ( Portaltable::Calculationfield ) ; ¶ ; " " ) defined in your parent table will merge all the fields from your portal into one single block of text.

• 2. Re: Creating a field that aggregates information from a portal
            TimMartin

That's helpful I didn't know what the list step did. In thinking about it I think I need to create a more complicated script. I think that I do need to do some sort of a loop. The two portals that I'm drawing from are supposed to go into a master description field for the web. I want one to automatically put the html tags for list for one of the portals. The other portal need to have table tags to create an html table. I'm sort of uncertain about how to begin at doing it. Where should my script trigger be so that the user will not have to manually start the script? The final field is going to draw from at least 1 field and 2 portals. Do I need to create intermediate fields where each individual portal or field dumps the  information and then I combine those fields into my final field? Any advice or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

• 3. Re: Creating a field that aggregates information from a portal
              TimMartin

Ahh now that I'm playing with the List script step I think I've got it. I just need to add an additional calculation field for my multi field table and I think I've got it!!!  Thanks for the help!