1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 11:31 AM by philmodjunk

Creating a fill in form

Sunny1

Title

Creating a fill in form

I have a form in WORD that consists of tables to record information to particular questions.  I want to have an area where on particular questions, you can add text comments like a drop down box when you click a button.  I am not sure if FileMaker is the best program to use for something like this and I have never done a form in Filemaker before.  Once I create it, I will be providing it to people to complete and return where another group of people add review comments in the boxes that I spoke about.  How can I accomplish this?  Can I import the Form that is in WORD into FIleMaker to cut down on recreating it? 

• 1. Re: Creating a fill in form
          philmodjunk

You can't simply import the form and convert it into a fileMaker record, but you can create a PDF of the form and insert it as a background image to use as a guide for replicating that design in FileMaker. FileMaker was pretty much built around the "electronic form" paradigm originally and thus you have quiet a few tools you can use to create such a form--though what you do with it after you have created is where you'll need to spend some time in planning and design work.

Once I create it, I will be providing it to people to complete and return where another group of people add review comments in the boxes that I spoke about.

This is a key detail to research and plan your design around. Can each of these people access a hosted FileMaker database in order to review the information and to add their data? Will each of them have a copy of FileMaker installed to make it easier to access this database or would you use Instant Web Publishing to enable them to access the data with a web browser or might it be possible to create a run time copy of the database that would be sent from reviewer to reviewer...

All different approaches with different strengths and weaknesses.

It's also possible to download a 30 day free trial of FileMaker. Doing so would give you a good idea on what FileMaker is like.