1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 31, 2008 12:16 PM by TSGal

Creating a help file

rgnant_1

Title

Creating a help file

I'd like to create a customized help file for an application I am designing.  Ideally, I'd like to mimic the Filemaker Help file format.  One way might be to create a table with a record for each help item.  Another way might be to create a whole bunch of layouts.  Simple scripts could serve as navigation tools.  I can't help but think that there might be a better way, though.  Any ideas.

• 1. Re: Creating a help file
          TSGal

rgnant:

Thank you for your post.

I have seen several FileMaker Pro files with customized help.  One method is to have a button/script that switches to a layout with the help information.  A return button executes a script that takes them back to the original layout.  As you can imagine, in some of these cases, there were a lot of layouts.  Remember, in Layout setup, you can uncheck the option to "Include in layout menus" so that would keep it inaccessible by the user unless it was specifically called by the button.

The other option, if the Help is going to look consistent across all help topics, is to have a link to another table based upon some "key" field.  When the button is pressed, it links to the other table, switches to one layout that displays the help topic and a way to return.  This would only allow you to enter the help information in one table and then reference that table/layout/record.

I hope this helps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.